derisi shock rebuild - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to coop

Guys, I have read some reviews of the stock revalves. Those who have derisi rebuilds, Are they really better than stock? I'm considering sending mine off, (derisi/gtt) but leaning more toward derisi, -due to no negative feedback other than it taking longer to get them back. I hear good things about gtt also but I did call them and go no real help other than a person who just wanted to answer the phone. I am going to be paring these rebuilds with jd arms. Can you guys please help out by giving some feedback please.
Houser +2 stem, green wire cut, RE 42.5 fcr
RE Gen 1 port, web cam 208, ferrea valves,
+1 exhaust, kibble white springs,
wossner 12:1 piston. Dasa Classic,
Rpm Dominator II, Rpm bearing carrier,
Rpm axel nut, Tuned by Rage Atv
54.62hp/32.77tq

My Masonic emblem adds 5 horsepower.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Quote:
Guys, I have read some reviews of the stock revalves. Those who have derisi rebuilds, Are they really better than stock? I'm considering sending mine off, (derisi/gtt) but leaning more toward derisi, -due to no negative feedback other than it taking longer to get them back. I hear good things about gtt also but I did call them and go no real help other than a person who just wanted to answer the phone. I am going to be paring these rebuilds with jd arms. Can you guys please help out by giving some feedback please.[/b]

Any reason other than price that you're not looking at complete aftermarket shocks? JD and other site sponsors have good package deals.

2006 TRX450ER

<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">JETTING SPECS.
Elevation 3300ft.
Airbox lid removed
HRC Main jet #162
stock slow jet #42
HRC NGPR jet 3rd. clip from top
Pilot 2 turns out
HRC Accelerator jet #55
Accelerator timing screw 1 1/8 turn out

<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">EXTRAS
HC stage 2
Green wire mod
RPM +4 axle
Laeger LT +2&#39;s
05 front end
Pro Taper bars
AC nerfs
Derisi rear revalve
GT Thunder MX link
Motowoz LT fronts
STU 22x8x10 fronts
6 paddle extreme haulers rear
HID conversion kit
sandtoys0@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
TRX450RACER174

I have had Derisi rebuilds they were really good for me at the time.
Santo was great to deal with and answered all my ?'s and was very helpful.
GTT sucks i will never use them again and will never recommend tem to anyone either.
JH Racing i hear also does great revalves but i have no personal experience with
them but some peeps on here have there builds.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to 450rider707

I've used C&D as well and they were awesome. Derisi is supposed to be great as well, and I've also heard good things about JH. GT Thunder is great with shocks, but not great with customer service from what I hear.

Quadless as of now :(
05 KLX110 - some stuff
01 ZR600 - bone stock
06 F250 - some modded stuff, some deleted stuff

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it&#39;s embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606
450rider707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
Guys, I have read some reviews of the stock revalves. Those who have derisi rebuilds, Are they really better than stock? I'm considering sending mine off, (derisi/gtt) but leaning more toward derisi, -due to no negative feedback other than it taking longer to get them back. I hear good things about gtt also but I did call them and go no real help other than a person who just wanted to answer the phone. I am going to be paring these rebuilds with jd arms. Can you guys please help out by giving some feedback please.[/b]
Call Johnny at JH Racing before you make up your mind trust me on this. You get to talk to the man himself and he is extremely helpful and never hurries you off the phone. We ended up just bsing for probably a good half hour or so. I felt like I'd known the guy for years when I got off the phone with him lol. I've never once heard a single bad review on his rebuilds either.
08&#39; Honda 450r Kicker
Curtis Sparks Exhaust, DASA Intake, HCII, Green Wire Mod, Pro Taper Evo bars w/odi grips, 8 Paddle Hauler Xtremes 22x11x10, Kenda Dunerunner Fronts 22x8x10

Future Mods
JH Racing Stock Shock Conversion, Graphics Kit/Seat Cover

Xbox Live Gamertag: JkUlysses79
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Just got my stockers back from Derisi racing. Santo was very helpful and the shocks looks awesome but it will be about a month before I can give a ride review bc I am in the middle of my rebuild.
'04 R.....54hp motor/HRC/venom pipe/piston-P/P, UNI /fox-fourplay frontend/precision/houser +1/proarmor nerfs/maier white plastics/PCd Orange/g-force axle/IMS/hiper wheels/maxxis mx/regina/renthal/flexx bars/dfr graphics-seat cover/....never done
Redkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
Just got my stockers back from Derisi racing. Santo was very helpful and the shocks looks awesome but it will be about a month before I can give a ride review bc I am in the middle of my rebuild.[/b]

yea i wouldnt mind if derisi does my shocks but i prefer JH racing i talked to all the shock builders (well most) and to me johnny really cares about his customers and is there to help if you need it
hondaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to coop

Hey thanks guys. I haven't heard of JH racing before, but did do a search here and found his name. I have read quite a few of hondamans post before and he does give good sound advice when people ask for it. Thanks all of you. I sorta looked into new shocks but For now, I think they might be too expensive when I have to buy a-arms also. Due to customer service, I won't go with gtt---my phone call to them ended that one. So it looks like I need to decide between derisi and jh racing. I will look into a package deal also like sandtoys suggested. I did talk to Dave at jd and he was very helpful regarding the a-arms. He will get my business. I will talk to him about the package deal. Hondaman, can you tell me how much diff it made to your bike after jh finished with them. I wont get long travel though. Thanks. Also, redkaz, hurry up with the build so you can give the review.
Houser +2 stem, green wire cut, RE 42.5 fcr
RE Gen 1 port, web cam 208, ferrea valves,
+1 exhaust, kibble white springs,
wossner 12:1 piston. Dasa Classic,
Rpm Dominator II, Rpm bearing carrier,
Rpm axel nut, Tuned by Rage Atv
54.62hp/32.77tq

My Masonic emblem adds 5 horsepower.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Quote:
Hey thanks guys. I haven't heard of JH racing before, but did do a search here and found his name. I have read quite a few of hondamans post before and he does give good sound advice when people ask for it. Thanks all of you. I sorta looked into new shocks but For now, I think they might be too expensive when I have to buy a-arms also. Due to customer service, I won't go with gtt---my phone call to them ended that one. So it looks like I need to decide between derisi and jh racing. I will look into a package deal also like sandtoys suggested. I did talk to Dave at jd and he was very helpful regarding the a-arms. He will get my business. I will talk to him about the package deal. Hondaman, can you tell me how much diff it made to your bike after jh finished with them. I wont get long travel though. Thanks. Also, redkaz, hurry up with the build so you can give the review.[/b]
cool man. all great things take time....lol I will post a review asap when I am done. (i give good advice too Hondaman just knows more than me about the R Give Santo a call bf you make up your mind G luck
'04 R.....54hp motor/HRC/venom pipe/piston-P/P, UNI /fox-fourplay frontend/precision/houser +1/proarmor nerfs/maier white plastics/PCd Orange/g-force axle/IMS/hiper wheels/maxxis mx/regina/renthal/flexx bars/dfr graphics-seat cover/....never done
Redkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Hey thanks guys. I haven't heard of JH racing before, but did do a search here and found his name. I have read quite a few of hondamans post before and he does give good sound advice when people ask for it. Thanks all of you. I sorta looked into new shocks but For now, I think they might be too expensive when I have to buy a-arms also. Due to customer service, I won't go with gtt---my phone call to them ended that one. So it looks like I need to decide between derisi and jh racing. I will look into a package deal also like sandtoys suggested. I did talk to Dave at jd and he was very helpful regarding the a-arms. He will get my business. I will talk to him about the package deal. Hondaman, can you tell me how much diff it made to your bike after jh finished with them. I wont get long travel though. Thanks. Also, redkaz, hurry up with the build so you can give the review.[/b]
We also design and manufacture our own shock conversions, check them out on our website www.jetsuspension.com. Fast turn around and you will be happy with them. Any questions let me know.

Nick @ Jet Suspension - check out our forum in the sponsor section
Nick @ JET Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Nick @ Jet, do you guys offer the high flow pistons?

In fact which of these builders do offer them? I Know my C&D's had them, but I'm just not familiar enough with the other builders to know...

so who else offers it?

05 KLX110 - some stuff
01 ZR600 - bone stock

RIP 606
Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Send a message via MSN to bsilver

I believe the DeRisis that I'm running now have the hi-flo mod, but don't quote me on that.

toe cutter, I bought this set of DeRisi rebuilds used at the beginning of this season. You would not believe the difference it made! Especially in the rear with a new linkage...'04/'05 bucking problem? Gone! I ride almost solely MX and have thrown some not-so-nice landings at these things with no problems. They took awhile to get set just right, mostly because I was cleuless, but now they are just beautiful. I will not switch to anything else until I go long-travel. I have not ridden another standard-travel 450R with any other shock that's any better than mine with my stock DeRisi rebuilds. Bold statement, I know, but that's my opinion...
bsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:

In fact which of these builders do offer them? I Know my C&D's had them, but I'm just not familiar enough with the other builders to know...

so who else offers it?[/b]
450Rider707,
We do offer a high flow piston for the rear, however, I don't think it it necessary unless you are hitting obstacles extremely hard. The purpose of a high flow piston is to flow more oil, however, the stock piston is not hydrolocking anyway. The whole point to the compression stack is to slow the movement of the shock over an obstacle while allowing it to move as far as possible, but riders still blow through the shock and bottom out with stock piston, think about it. High flow pistons require thicker shims which shear the oil MORE! IMHO not necessary if you have shimming figured out unless certain circumstances.
A high flow has some draw backs as well, but does allow us to drill bleeds easier then the cast piston (however there easier ways to do this, since once you drill, you better be correct). We offer a custom axis piston that flows more oil than stock, allows for bleed drilling and shears the oil less.
Everyone is going to try and sell you their kit, me including because we all think we have the best handling kit on the market, or else we would sell someone elses. Some companies actually purchase their kit from other companies! I'm not saying that about Derisi or GT, we all three design and manufacture our own.
The main thing I look for is; handling, how good is the service, results of the racers running them, availability, ability to adjust, cost and looks.

Nick @ JET Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Quote:
Quote:

so who else offers it?[/b]
450Rider707,
We do offer a high flow piston for the rear, however, I don't think it it necessary unless you are hitting obstacles extremely hard. The purpose of a high flow piston is to flow more oil, however, the stock piston is not hydrolocking anyway. The whole point to the compression stack is to slow the movement of the shock over an obstacle while allowing it to move as far as possible, but riders still blow through the shock and bottom out with stock piston, think about it. High flow pistons require thicker shims which shear the oil MORE! IMHO not necessary if you have shimming figured out unless certain circumstances.
A high flow has some draw backs as well, but does allow us to drill bleeds easier then the cast piston (however there easier ways to do this, since once you drill, you better be correct). We offer a custom axis piston that flows more oil than stock, allows for bleed drilling and shears the oil less.
Everyone is going to try and sell you their kit, me including because we all think we have the best handling kit on the market, or else we would sell someone elses. Some companies actually purchase their kit from other companies! I'm not saying that about Derisi or GT, we all three design and manufacture our own.
The main thing I look for is; handling, how good is the service, results of the racers running them, availability, ability to adjust, cost and looks.
[/b]

Well said. I know Colby from C&D had told me before by switching to the higher flowing pistons there were able to drop to a one step softer spring in most cases. I'd have to go back and re-read it though. I believe mine had hi-flows in the front only, and not the rear, but honestly I cant remember. Setting up suspension is like skinning a cat from what I understand, there are a few different ways to go about the correct setup, whether its internal valving or different spring rates/linkages and what not.

Thanks for your input Nick.

05 KLX110 - some stuff
01 ZR600 - bone stock

RIP 606
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:

well my shocks are LT but when i got them they where setup for MX i sent them to Johnny and had themsetup for XC and i was not dissapointed, i told him i liked a faster rebound than what i had felt on the gt thunders my buddy has and he told me "no problem, i will set them up so where you can actually feel a difference in the adjustment" and he did i can tell a big difference in going from a slow rebound to a faster rebound to a hard compression to a softer compression just by adjusting the knobs

my suspension works awesome, and hte harder i ride it the better it rides, im actually more comfortable going faster than i am slower and thats exactly wanted i wanted for racing

and his help to me after he was done and i had already paid was awesome, i couldnt get my rear end ride height just where i wanted it, i told johnny and he OVERNIGHTED me a new spring and it fixed my problems and didnt make me pay anything also was very helpful in initially getting it setup right and telling me where i should be for it to work right

they are exactly what i asked for and i am 100% happy with them
hondaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement