Fox Floats - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
fox
250EX Rider

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up a set of the Fox Floats not the X Evol. I race some XC (GNCC AND VIRGINIA NATIONALS) and do a lot of trail riding. I was wondering would it be worth my while to buy the Fox Floats or just have the shockers revalved. I would get the X Evol's but my money wont allow it.
fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up a set of the Fox Floats not the X Evol. I race some XC (GNCC AND VIRGINIA NATIONALS) and do a lot of trail riding. I was wondering would it be worth my while to buy the Fox Floats or just have the shockers revalved. I would get the X Evol's but my money wont allow it.[/b]
Just get your stockers revalved.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via MSN to 480 bandit

Im also curious about the floats. u can pump em up to what suits your style

why is evryone against em?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
TRX450RACER174

Quote:

why is evryone against em?[/b]
They are a little more work than a reg coil shock, Temp changes affect the shock and they need to be tuned for that as well as they lose pressure after sitting, Some people love them and some dont want to tune them i personally love them and have no problems with them at all.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
Quote:

They are a little more work than a reg coil shock, Temp changes affect the shock and they need to be tuned for that as well as they lose pressure after sitting, Some people love them and some dont want to tune them i personally love them and have no problems with them at all.
[/b]
^^hes alking bout regular flaots not the evols you have the evols i would recomen it for trail or xc racing i would get all 3 revlaved if i were you it just like having and elka rec reation shock with only preload adustemnt pretty much
Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vigs07R #9

Quote:

i wouldnt want them because they require maintenance almost every ride. yes coils need to be adjusted just not as much
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
fox
250EX Rider

So what you all are telling me is that the only down fall to having this regular float shocks is that you have to adjust or tune them every ride??? **** if that's the case, then that's the least of my worries, honestly does it take that long or is that hard to check and adjust the pressure? Let me ask you guys this then, how do they compare to other shocks? I just want to ask this to get an guage on how they size up to other shocks so i can get an idea of what i'm working with. Are they comparable to some other shock. If the evols are the best would the floats be second or third to them?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
So what you all are telling me is that the only down fall to having this regular float shocks is that you have to adjust or tune them every ride??? **** if that's the case, then that's the least of my worries, honestly does it take that long or is that hard to check and adjust the pressure? Let me ask you guys this then, how do they compare to other shocks? I just want to ask this to get an guage on how they size up to other shocks so i can get an idea of what i'm working with. Are they comparable to some other shock. If the evols are the best would the floats be second or third to them?[/b]
its not that 700 dollar isnt worth them for that its just how im seeing it just get rebuild you get all 3 revalved high flow pistons new springs extended travel mod and linke for around $750 from gt thunder hy ger has all that plus extened bladders (for less shock fade) and new adjustemnts screws for around $1250
Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Desert Racer

I do not know anything about the regular Floats, other then the last I heard, they do not make them for the TRX450R. I have heard of people using the 400EX Floats on their 450R's, not sure what the difference is between shocks for the two models.

The Floats are only pressure and rebound adjustable, while your stock shocks have compression, rebound, and preload. Floats do not have a external resivour, less oil capacity? May lead to the Floats fading faster? Not sure. Look at the stock shocks on a 400EX, the Floats are probably a good upgrade compared to those. Now go look at your stock 450R shocks, do you think they will still be a good upgrade? Probably a reason Fox does not make them for the 450R's. I would get your stock shocks revalved over the Floats. Now if you wanted the Evols, that may be another story....

Doug
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2014 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Dirttricks.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
D Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
I do not know anything about the regular Floats, other then the last I heard, they do not make them for the TRX450R. I have heard of people using the 400EX Floats on their 450R's, not sure what the difference is between shocks for the two models.

The Floats are only pressure and rebound adjustable, while your stock shocks have compression, rebound, and preload. Floats do not have a external resivour, less oil capacity? May lead to the Floats fading faster? Not sure. Look at the stock shocks on a 400EX, the Floats are probably a good upgrade compared to those. Now go look at your stock 450R shocks, do you think they will still be a good upgrade? Probably a reason Fox does not make them for the 450R's. I would get your stock shocks revalved over the Floats. Now if you wanted the Evols, that may be another story....

Doug[/b]

yup love my evols and with the post above the 400ex shaft is 7/8 shorter than a 450r just though id throw that out there AND GO REBUILDS WOOOH
Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
fox
250EX Rider

Ight fellahs, you've convinced me. Thanks to D Bergstrom I'm going to look into having gt thunder revalve my stockers. Thanks for the all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement