Honda TRX 450R banner

new owner needs help

547 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  dustym 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Have a few issues on a new to me quad.
1st
Wasn't wanting to turn over. Fully charged new battery wouldn't turn engine over more than a revolution if that. Checked solenoid, and when power is applied it does click and power does flow to starter. So with the plug out, the starter will turn over engine normally while button is pushed. Put plug back in and does turn over a few more revolutions, but it sounds kinda week. Plug was wet and smelled like fuel. Couldn't get a new plug today, since the motorcycle shop in the next town over isn't open on sundays. Going to get a new plug and put some fresh gas in, and try that again. What my concern was when it wouldn't turn the engine over when I first tried.
2nd
When in gear, clutch doesn't disengage. I put in gear and pull handle and try to push it, but it wont move. Supposedly has had the clutch rebuilt.

Any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

#2 ·
Well I appreciate the advise I have been given from this site, it means so much to me.

1 st issue had to do something with keeping the exhaust valve open so it wouldn't build too much compression. Ended up in adjusting this rocker, and boom it would turn over and start. yippee.
2nd issue I get to try to solve by taking the clutch apart today.

I was just about going to take it to a shop, but luckily I have a neighbor who has a dirt bike with the same engine. After I described what i have done so far he kinda figured what it could be.
Soon I will be having some fun with this and not be so frustrated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.