Honda TRX 450R banner

2004 trx450r will NOT start

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Gustav 
#1 ·
Hello there, i have a 2004 trx450r and here's my problem, one day i took it out racing in the desert. I sprayed air filter oil as there is really thin dust out there. I didn't wait for it to dry completely and when i kicked it over, it burned the oil and was smoking through the exhaust for a little.

After about 5 minutes, everything was back to normal so i began riding, i noticed it had a little bit of loss of power and when i tried to let it idle it sort of wanted to die, so i would give it gas.. i kept riding for a while and everything was fine. i raced it for a little, turned it off, kicked it over and started just fine (I'm assuming this was because the engine was hot)

I took it home and left it in the garage for a week. when I tried starting it again, it wouldn't start so i took out the spark plug and replaced it with a brand new one but still nothing, took out the carb, checked everything and it was clean, the floats work well, I got a K&N open filter so i took that off to see if it was squirting gas, and it's squirting just fine, the kicker feels a little bit loose at this point(as if there was no compression) but still no idea.

I checked for spark, there was no spark, ( it was dumb of me that i wired on a 36W LED light bar on to the highs/ brights without a fuse, so i think that's what caused the ignition coil to go bad, so i took the lightbar off) I replaced the stator, the regulator/rectifier, and i replaced the ignition coil, i have spark now so i don't think my CDI is the problem right??

I adjusted the intake valves to spec .006, at this point i kicked it and it's a little bit harder to kickeover but still nothing, i made sure the timing marks line up so the timing should be good. I tried pull-starting it and it honestly sounds the same with the ignition ON or OFF, I can hear the piston going up and down it almost sounds like the bike is running but without the explosions of the engine, i checked the killswitch and the ignition switch, they are fine. when i try to pullstart it, the headlights come on but it's almost as if the ignition isn't switched on..

I went back and realized the exhaust valves weren't up to spec, so i adjusted these to .011 now when i try to kickstart it all i hear is a THUMP sound coming from the engine (kind of like that sound when there's too much fuel in the engine, like it's drowned) when the kickstarter reaches the bottom and i also feel the kicker, kicking back now, something i usually feel when it's about to start, but nothing.

I've given up now and i don't know what to do.. could it be the CDI box?? even though i'm getting spark?? I have hotcams stage 2 and i got a full curtis sparks exhaust. the current CDI box is a Big Gun OverRev.

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to provide all the details.

I just want to get out there and ride

See less See more
#2 ·
what kind of filter k&n or foam? Did you clean the filter since & re-install? Maybe just take it off completely to see if it tries to fire.also does anybody else you know have a stock ignition box to try & swap out? Still might be s-thing clogged in carbuerator since you swapped the spark plug already? Not sure how many hours on that engine but in the end you might need a leak down test?

#5 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I have a good CDI box and rectifier for an 04-05 let me know if you need I'll make you a good deal.. Actually your rectifier sits on the left side under the rear plastic it mounts to the subframe
Text 337-354-7282

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.