Honda TRX 450R banner

2007 450ER Pump Gas Build. Suggestions?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Columbus400 
#1 ·
I plan on tearing down my 450 soon and am looking for suggestions on a good pump gas build. Currently from what the previous owner told me the current mods are an Ice Cube jug (unsure of bore), 3mil crank, unsure on piston, Stage 1 HotCam, Ported and Polished head, bored FCR, LRD Full Exhaust and I believe that's it for engine work. I'm not sure of actual compression but he told me he always ran 110 so I did as well. Id like to rebuild the top end but am unsure on which path to take. I'm thinking 12:1 Wiseco piston stock bore but the rest I'm unsure of. What would you guys suggest for a cam, valves, and head work. I'm trying to avoid cracking into the bottom end so I plan on leaving the 3mil crank in it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Depends on your riding style, and where.

Give Racers Edge Arizona a call, they do amazing head work, and can recommend a cam based on the head work.

Run a Carillo/JE 12:1 piston stay away from Wiseco.

You may also want to consider boring your carb, or getting a bored CRF carb.

#3 ·
Dump the stage 1 cam for a stage 2 or 3.

#5 ·
It's cute when people throw out advice when they don't really have any technical data to back it up.... JE and Wiseco are the same company... As a matter of fact JE was bought out by wiseco over 10 years ago.... Wiseco pistons are an excellent choice for the trx...

You might be boned if your stroker crank had a special piston or cylinder made to accommodate the added stroke....

agree that the stage 1 cam dosnt make sense for your setup.... It's an awesome cam... But not a match for yours

#6 ·
Mixxer, what do you mean with the crank? I believe its a run of the mill Hot Rod +3.....I plan on putting a stock jug back on with a stock comp piston hoping to stay at pump gas levels. Were you trying to point out something I'm missing? I'm hoping to have a strong, fairly dependable wheeler when I'm done with this which is why I came here for advice. Which valves would you guys suggest? Thanks again guys!

#7 ·
I am willing to bet you have the same setup as I had. 488 with a +3 hotrods crank. I have run several brands of pistons I didn't have a problem with any of them but i would do the 12.5.1 compression. If you ever want to get rid of that big bore jug, I would be interested.

#8 ·
If it's a hot rod stroker, you will not have a problem with piston compatibility...

Remember that the stroker will add about a half a point of comparison to the pistons rated comp.

#9 ·
Ok cool I was told that the crank will add 1 point of compression glad I know the actual number now. Does anyone know the bore of the different Ice Cube jugs because I cant seem to find them. I don't know what size big bore it is so when I tear it down ill measure it and go from there. Also what would you guys suggest for head work and valves? Thanks again!

#10 ·
I'd say stick with 12:1 tops with that crank to stay on pump gas. On head work, everyone will have an opinion and usually what they run is the best, with that being said, I run and sell Dasa porting with +1 Ex. valves and the head is a beast, you won't go wrong with anything Dasa. I do see a lot of guys here recommend Racer's Edge and even Mixxer although I have no personal knowledge of their work. If you are interested in Dasa then send me a PM. And a HC2 might be a better choice for you.

#14 ·
Personally I would get in touch with mixxer for port work....

His work is flat out excellent .... Has been for over 30 years...

And he isn't a rapist on pricing....

#15 ·
Mixxer that's a little conceded [emoji5] I didn't know you still ported heads pm me with your pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Mixxer is a great guy to deal with , he is one of the few guys I would ever trust with my head . I should have my head back from him next week as well as my Scredum bored carb can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.