Honda TRX 450R banner

What is this?

978 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  450Devistator 
#1 · (Edited)
What would cause this? Piston has 1.5 hours max on it. I pulled the head off to get port work done. Would this be to low of octane for the je 13:1?

See less See more
#3 ·
What octane are you running? My friend melted his cp 13:1 running 93 octane fuel b/c the retailer told him pump gas is ok for it. I have a je 13.8:1 and a stroker kit and I have to use race fuel. I've been running vp u4.4. I have never personally seen what pre detonation looks like but I'm sure someone on here has that can chime in.

#5 ·
Plug is a ifr8h11 i believe i would have to double check that when my head come back. And my fuel was 93. My builder felt that it would be fine for this.

#6 · (Edited)
I run the same plug. I would check into race fuel. Keep in mind the higher the octane is the slower it burns and leaded runs cooler vs. Unleaded. The 93 pump fuel burnt too fast for my friend, but he didn't have the opportunity to inspect his internals like you have right now. His meltdown caused him to get a new piston, re-nikilsil the jug, not to mention gaskets needed and then later he soon had to replace his main bearings and stator from the excessive heat transfering through the crank, so again, shoptime and money wasted. Spend a few bucks on quality fuel and save yourself money and time wasted in the long run.

#7 ·
Well ill be makimg a trip to the track to buy some vp this week now

#10 ·
Morgan, can you give me more details on your opinion of u4 and better alternatives. I have been running it for some time now without any issues. I don't want to mislead anyone on choices of fuel however it seems to be best that he does run a quality fuel and perhaps you have some types he can research and make an informed decision

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.