Hot Rods Stroker Crankshaft Question - Page 2 - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Desert Racer

Don't let all these guys worry you, you don't HAVE to get a Hot Rods stroker crank balanced. Sure, if you have the money and time, by all means, get it balanced, but it is not required, your motor won't be a ticking time bomb if you don't.

I installed a +3 crank in one of my 450R's back in 2007. Didn't balance it, just pulled it out of the box and installed. Have hundreds of hours on that quad, still runs great with no problems. Has a little more vibration then my other 450R with a oem crank, but not a large amount. The only reason I notice it is because I do switch back and forth between the two.

For sure use OEM main bearings though, the one thing I would not use is the Hot Rods bearings, heard of way to many problems with them.

Doug
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2013 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Dirttricks.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
D Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman263 View Post
emailed hotrods, they said they come balanced and trued from the factory
balanced for what?? they have cranks on the shelf balanced for every piston combo? not

we fixed a yfz about a year ago and the hr crank was 200 grams out of balance. close enough to balanced!
EL YORKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
OCP
Oregon Coast Powersports

Send a message via Yahoo to OCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL YORKIE View Post
balanced for what?? they have cranks on the shelf balanced for every piston combo? not

we fixed a yfz about a year ago and the hr crank was 200 grams out of balance. close enough to balanced!
^this

if you dont have it balanced it is a gamble.

i had two yfz stroker cranks each need around 350 grams! one honda stroker crank vibrated and shook the pegs so bad your feet would go numb.

i have installed a couple that the customers didnt want to have balanced that were fine.

Last edited by OCP; 10-11-2011 at 04:17 PM.
OCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman263 View Post
emailed hotrods, they said they come balanced and trued from the factory
well there you go. the folks that made it and want to SELL you one said its balanced and ready to go.

email them and ask if the YFZ strokers come balanced too. then when they say "sure do" and they will because again they want to SELL you one ill post pics of a yfz that broke all its motor mounts in less then 2 hours cause it shook so bad.

doug is right they dont have to be balanced and the hondas are not as bad as the yfz cranks. i have riden 2 hondas that were not balanced one wasnt to bad, you could feel it but you could ride it all day. the other would make your hands and feet numb in 5 minutes. i rode a few balanced and they were all smooth as silk.

rather then email hot rods email crank works and falicon ask them how far off a out of the box +3 crank is on avg. crank works told me that they have seen some real close and some so far off they couldnt believe hotrods sent them out

as far as jetting goes.. dont worry about it yet, with a unbalanced crank your carb might shake so bad it will adjust itself nonstop
hawk-trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
300EX Rider

holy crap everyone is making me nervous about this! I don't know what to do now. Might just go stock or maybe get it balanced, i have no idea. Falicon cost $255 just to balance it when that's just as much as the hotrods crank is itself!
Sparks exhaust
Stage 1 HC

2007 crf450r
hondaman263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
450R Veteran

i have heard that crankworks can take 8 weeks sometimes.
if your sold on the crank and havent bought one yet i have a brand new one sitting on my shelf that ill sell. shipping is the killer part. the only reason i never built anything with it is because by the time i spend the money to ship it, have it balanced, pat return shiping i could almost build a long rod 4 mill that uses a crf piston
Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-trx View Post
i have heard that crankworks can take 8 weeks sometimes.
if your sold on the crank and havent bought one yet i have a brand new one sitting on my shelf that ill sell. shipping is the killer part. the only reason i never built anything with it is because by the time i spend the money to ship it, have it balanced, pat return shiping i could almost build a long rod 4 mill that uses a crf piston
pm sent
Sparks exhaust
Stage 1 HC

2007 crf450r
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
300EX Rider

i had a hr +3 that was not balanced and i know if i ever go that route again it will get balanced. lost 2 motor mounts within a week from the vibrations and i could feel it thru the bars pretty good. never had any problems with it but i just did not like the vibrations
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
450R Veteran

like i said i wouldnt run one if i was paid to and they are a short rod which does put more stress on the cylinder and strokers rev slower
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lord of Combustion

im sure its been covered... between myself and KBR, we have done quite a few Hot Rods strokers... the Honda ones have been fine (for us) but the Yamaha ones have ALL vibrated like one -legged paint mixers unless they were balanced

My non "wheelchair class" ride: 2007 CRF270R / extra armor and guards / pumped up / geared up/ soft terrain woods runner..... dyno was B4 pump gas Big Bore
mixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
450R Veteran

john, ant idea why the yfz's are so bad? i rode a balanced yfz that vibrated worse then either of the unbalanced hondas.
also has anyone noticed a difference between the 04/05 and the 06+ hot rod cranks?

the unbalanced ones i have been on were 06's but have been on both that were balanced
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lord of Combustion

todd, i don't really know.... i know that the few that KBR and i had doen and talked about (one of them being my own) VIBRATED like mad....

after a couple outings on mine , i knew i was going to turn right around and pull the crank out for balancing... which didnt make me happy at all...

after balancing it was perfect...

KBR started telling yfz guys they wouldnt install a stroker for them unless it was balanced... no exceptions... after several bad experiences on customer bikes

My non "wheelchair class" ride: 2007 CRF270R / extra armor and guards / pumped up / geared up/ soft terrain woods runner..... dyno was B4 pump gas Big Bore
mixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
450R Veteran

on a side note this topic thew me. when i clicked on a topic that said hot rods stroker cranks, the last thing i expected it to be about was jetting.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-trx View Post
on a side note this topic thew me. when i clicked on a topic that said hot rods stroker cranks, the last thing i expected it to be about was jetting.
haha well I dont understand how stroker cranks even work or get you more cc's. I just thought with the extra 20cc's i would have to go up a little.

Mixxer...so your experiences with hotrods on the trx450r's are pretty good?
Sparks exhaust
Stage 1 HC

2007 crf450r
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
250EX Rider

i've got a HR +3 in my 05 FT quad and it's a big bore also, i don't think it Vibrates any more then my 08 xc quad that is all stock internals.
I had all kinds of issues with an engine i had with a Falicon +4 crank, not saying that was all the problems, it was just a weird engine set up i tried to make work, and long story short, it was a bad idea.
Advertisement