Runs great hard or wont start - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Default Runs great hard or wont start

Got a 2008 trx450er runs great when started but getting it to start is hard. It has a 3mm hot rods stroker crank and 99mm 12:1 compression piston wiseco. Jetting is 188 needle on richest setting bottom clip. Bike runs awesome no misses or knocks power seems around 60 plus. Head is oversize valves, ported, and k&n filter without box. Head was just done no leaks, new gaskets. Seams maybe the starter isn't turning over fast enough but then again turns over pretty good. Choking the bike helps 1 percent of the time but after several turn over of the motor so it cant be to small of a main jet. air screw is I think around 2 turns out and the accelerator pump shouldnt mater I am thinking until the bike starts and the cam is a stage 3 and exhaust full titanium fmf. So any thoughts I think mabey the starter or maybe with less than a hour motor might just need broke in idk.
nwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
450R XC Rider

Location: Ashland, Virginia(Currently in Blacksburg, VA Go HOKIES!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwards View Post
power seems around 60 plus

If you mean you are over 60 horsepower, you are smokin crack man. I would seriously doubt you are over 50 horsepower at best, maybe around 45 HP and i doubt that just cause you jetting is way off. Now for you starting issue. A 188 is freaking huge man. I would go with a 165 main and a 45 pilot. The 45 pilot should help fix your starting problem and put you needle near the middle clip once you get a 165 main and fine tune from there. The main jet has no effect on starting, thats the pilot circuit. Also, I would check your valves again. If you valves are not adjust properly (especially intake) it can get hard to start up.

Last edited by 450rquadrider; 12-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.
450rquadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adam Applegate 04_450

yea man i would re-tune ur butt dyno lol

~04 w/ stock internals~ + a few odds/ends :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKumsquat?feature=mhee
apple61a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
450R XC Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple61a View Post
yea man i would re-tune ur butt dyno lol
LMFAO. Thats the funniest thing I have heard all day!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Well it runs around 95 on gps and my banshee that puts out 55 gets beat in take off and mid range so I am thinking around 60. [16/38 sprockets] Maybe not. On a plug check the bike was real red clay looking way to lean so I upped the main jet and don't have any power issues or bogging since I did that. The bike will only start with throttle open half way. Needle is hrc one. When the bike is warmed up and I run it hard then when I stop it dies unless I give it some gas and then it will idle. The bike is built for all out power head was shaved also so I do got more compression and running 93 plus a octane booster. Head was shaved because of some scratches that might have not made it seal.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Valves are perfect and bike seams to run great just won't start to good maybe I am to big on jetting will change the pilot jet and see what happens. There is a guy on ebay selling the darn things pilot jets and when you get them they are wrong and won't fit so watch out for him.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
450R XC Rider

Its the 21 series pilot I believe you want. And just cause it goes 95 doesnt mean it makes 60 plus HP. With your mods, your only probably around 45 HP. You have to put probably over 3 grand in that motor to make 60 plus HP. But a 45 pilot should fix your starting issue. And you NEVER EVER EVER want to hold the throttle open, ESPECIALLY on a ER cause that will ruin your starter motor really quick. Thats probably the reason it won't start that well. Keeping the throttle open will burn the motor up. And forget the FMF. They are know to crack easily and they are quite restrictive due to their low sound output. Get a proven performer like a HMF, DASA, etc. JMHO
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
300EX Rider

your main is way to big. throw in a 165 and a 45 pilot and maybe youll gain a few ponies.

trxfoefitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

You'll probably hit 70hp with the rejet...
blk00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
450R XC Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk00ss View Post
You'll probably hit 70hp with the rejet...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Say what you want about the power and yes over 3 grand by far is what I got. The 45 pilot helped but still didnt fix it and I put the needle on middle and 165 main gained 1 mph but lean always gains power it seams. I will order a 50 pilot and see if that helps. What is the little screw on the other side of the pilot?

1mm over ex valves and intake valves. Double springs, ported head and intake chamber cut and shortened. Head was worked out all the way shortened valve guides all titanium valves, keepers, all done by a pro I sent the head out. Shaved head stroker crank and oversize piston. Aftermarket intake k/n exhaust is way to dang loud for an fmf dont look restrictive same exhaust run in ama motocross by Bubba, Chad reed, and Ryan Dungy. Maybe an atv needs a different tuned exhaust. Stage 3 cam left timing stock until brake in then was going to adjust. Carb is stock and for all I have read a 4 stroke can't make 60 so maybe I am wrong but I run banshees and this fells kinda fast way faster than the stock hrc setup with a stage 3 cam. I will post a video when I get it running right and maybe hit a dyno. Got 2 banshees and a couple cr bike I wanna dyno anyway. Thanks for the help and replies.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
250EX Rider

um mine made 66hp. where did u read that lol?? J
14.25 to 1 venom piston
QUIKSHRK ported head w/+1 ferreras x4
kibble white dual rate springs
custom web cam
44 sredrum fcr
direct drive lockout
dasa classic pipe
fuel customs intake
green wire mod
+6 arched ladder bar quikshrk swinger
fox float evols and podium
lonestar longtravel dc4's
lonestar billet hubs with wave rotors
lonestar rear linkage
66hp 41tq
j450rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
OCP
Oregon Coast Powersports

Send a message via Yahoo to OCP

what is the decomp set at? a 45 pilot and 1.5-2 turns should get it where it needs to be. i would get the bike started and warmed up and able to idle. then i would adjust the fuel screw until the highest rpm is achieved. and aftermarket thumb adjustable one will make it much easier. you may have to re-adjust the idle speed after the fuel screw is set properly.

the main jet does sound quite big for a stock bore carb but it doesnt effect the starting. also. dont use a banshee's or any other 2 stroke hp for a guide to estimate your 450's. comparing 2 vs 4 stroke hp #'s is like comparing apples to orangutans.

i dont know where you have been reading either, but the statement about 4 strokes not making 60 is ridiculous. RE can do it in their sleep, and many others do it routinely also but it may take a pot of coffee or two.
OCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via AIM to vcforlife15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450rquadrider View Post

If you mean you are over 60 horsepower, you are smokin crack man. I would seriously doubt you are over 50 horsepower at best, maybe around 45 HP and i doubt that just cause you jetting is way off. Now for you starting issue. A 188 is freaking huge man. I would go with a 165 main and a 45 pilot. The 45 pilot should help fix your starting problem and put you needle near the middle clip once you get a 165 main and fine tune from there. The main jet has no effect on starting, thats the pilot circuit. Also, I would check your valves again. If you valves are not adjust properly (especially intake) it can get hard to start up.
I could deffintily see him making well over 50 with his mods depending on the porting and jetting.....

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/
vcforlife15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Man I have tried 52 pilot and 45 and 42 pilots and nothing helps. Air screw every time 2 turns out. Still want start without several turns and giving it gas. What else is there to try. Runs great when it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement