Engine Cuts out at Full Throttle - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

I知 sorry if I知 repeating a post, however, I have searched and not found the answer to my problem. A little background on the issue. Went to Dumont Dunes for Halloween and the quad ran perfect with no issues. It sat for two weeks, at which time I was going riding on the weekend of 11/14/09. I changed the oil and cleaned the bike, nothing else, took it out for a ride and it starts dying on the top end.

The quad idles fine and runs fine tell about half throttle. I have disassembled the carb. and cleaned it. Checked all my connections to make sure I didn't have a loose wire or ground. The Air filter is also clean. My dad and I also checked the voltage for the TPS and Carb. Heater and the settings check out with the service manual. I have also installed a new spark plug on the off chance I fouled a plug.

The Quad Is an 04' Trx 450r and has an Hmf slip on Bill Balance Pro Series Silencer, Hrc Jet Kit, K&N Filter with the Lid cut. I also live in the High Desert in Ca. at about 3500 ft elevation.

Any help would be appreciated because I知 stumped on why the sudden issue after I haven稚 changed any settings. And sorry for the long Post.

Matt
450rpunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
forced entry

First guess would be something in the main jet. Definately would cut out past mid throttle. But since you cleaned it, my second guess is stator. When the stator starts to die, it will cut out and act as a false rev limiter. I've seen it happen on a couple bikes.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
First guess would be something in the main jet. Definately would cut out past mid throttle. But since you cleaned it, my second guess is stator. When the stator starts to die, it will cut out and act as a false rev limiter. I've seen it happen on a couple bikes.[/b]
I have read that in a couple of posts. Just wanted to see what some other people had to say before I start tossing money away on "maybe" parts. Thank you for the reply
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Quote:
First guess would be something in the main jet. Definately would cut out past mid throttle. But since you cleaned it, my second guess is stator. When the stator starts to die, it will cut out and act as a false rev limiter. I've seen it happen on a couple bikes.[/b]
I have read that in a couple of posts. Just wanted to see what some other people had to say before I start tossing money away on "maybe" parts. Thank you for the reply
[/b]

I just spent countless hours trying to find the solution to this issue on a 2005. The exact same symptoms.
Long story short: Tried everying but stator and wiring harness. Finally got a used good stator from someone on here and it fixed it.
Check the for sale section for a good used one or check ebay. I got mine shipped for 50 bucks.
Trust me, it is frustrating trying all the other possible causes.

Get a stator if you want your bike fixed.

Mailman
Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
450R Veteran

not a bad idea.....^

stators are difficult to diagnose....... most of the symptoms (other than no spark at all) relate to fuel issues... such as cutting out, hard starting, etc.... or, they work great when cold, but as they warm up the bike dies... then starts up again when bike is cold....

bottom line...if your suffering from an electrical misfire of any type... weak spark, no spark, mistimed spark, it is the STATOR 99% of the time....

for me it has been 100% of the time....and I have replaced stators in both of my trx250r's and my 450r..... and two of my boyz cr80's....my CR250R is about the only machine that is still working on the stock stator.....

they fail quite often....

jmho.....g
**06 450ER**... #3 (Dale lives on)

86TRX250R (mostly stock 66mm bore x 72mm stroke) **for sale**
86TRX250R (ESR310 72.5mm bore x 72mm stroke '298cc' fully modded) **SOLD**
88TRX250R (ESR330 77.5mm bore x 74mm stroker '345cc' fully modded)

HRC kit (all but gone)
Hot Cams stage III
Okie porting w/ATP CV4 springs (36mm Ti/31mm)
Venom/KBR N2O Porting w/KW springs (37mm/31mm)
Venom/KBR 487 100mm 14.25:1 piston
Cold Fusion Nitrous**
Venom 'QP' pipe
ESR Pro Series pipe
ESR modded intake w/RAT stack
42mm Taper-Bored FCR
Direct Drive clutch lockout, CR500 springs
GT Thunder-Link w/Durablue Lowering Link
Durablue Anti-Sway Bar
Modded shock mounts
Rage Modded Tranny

Jetting/Carb: #168, #45slow, NGPR needle 3rd clip, #55 Leakjet, Pilot 2 turns out.
Jetting/N2O: 22N/21F (22hp)

*STU Comp Cut 21x12x8 (6) paddle 'Padla Brats' on Douglas Blue label 8x8.....

Thanx to: Venom/KBR (Mixxer/Kam), Rage ATV (Dee), Sredum (Chris), and many ORG members
450RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Do the 06+ R's have the same stator issues? Reason i ask is the 04-05 and 06+ seem to have some different "quirks". ...or is this just a Honda in general thing?

03 CRF Cam
Venom Exhaust
CR500 Clutch Springs
Uni Filter
Half a Lid
162 Main
ProTaper ATV Mids
Razr's on all 4
No Stickers (adds 10hp)
**The picture listed above does not represent the views or opinions expressed by the modifications listed**

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."
~Al Capone

Me: "Its hot in here."
Ron: "Thats because of the heat."
rallytalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Thank you Everyone for the reply's. I will be changing the stator, hopefully next weekend.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Let us know how it turns out. It will be helpful for future searches. I hate it when you search and find a similar problem but the solution was never stated.

My stator worked great up until about 5 or 6K rpm. The bike started perfect, idled, etc. It just would not run right on the top end. I had the same jetting as the previous year so I knew it was not jetting.
I finally got smart and decided to listen to the words of wisdom by 450RRR who said "It is the stator, why? because it is always the stator". Funny, but true.

Let us know,

Mailman
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Well it looks like Im going to have to put off working on the quad for at least another weekend. My injector pump went out on my 91 dodge, so I have to get that back up and running this weekend. I will post when I finally get to change the stator out.

Thanks for all the reply's

Matt
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
Do the 06+ R's have the same stator issues? Reason i ask is the 04-05 and 06+ seem to have some different "quirks". ...or is this just a Honda in general thing?[/b]

from what I was 'told', they both suffer the same issues.... usually an exciter coil issue....(this is the portion of the stator that develops the 100 +/- AC volts for the coil.... when it goes bad...it can either give less voltage (weak spark) or no voltage (no spark)..... since the exciter coil is an integral part of the stator, the whole units gets replaced.... also, the 06/newer machines are somewhat different in the fact they have a charging coil on the stator to charge the batteries....

HRC kit (all but gone)
Hot Cams stage III
Cold Fusion Nitrous**
Venom 'QP' pipe
ESR Pro Series pipe
42mm Taper-Bored FCR
Durablue Anti-Sway Bar
Modded shock mounts
Rage Modded Tranny

Jetting/Carb: #168, #45slow, NGPR needle 3rd clip, #55 Leakjet, Pilot 2 turns out.

Thanx to: Venom/KBR (Mixxer/Kam), Rage ATV (Dee), Sredum (Chris), and many ORG members
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to stammingereater

Quote:
Well it looks like Im going to have to put off working on the quad for at least another weekend. My injector pump went out on my 91 dodge, so I have to get that back up and running this weekend. I will post when I finally get to change the stator out.

Thanks for all the reply's
them dodges are prone to your injector pump going out, if its your first one reppplacing your lucky, and let us know how the staor swap goes for you

Matt[/b]

stammingereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Ok sorry guys ive been busy and waiting on parts. Finally got my stator and changed it out today and the bike is still cutting out on the top end. not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Ok sorry guys ive been busy and waiting on parts. Finally got my stator and changed it out today and the bike is still cutting out on the top end. not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?[/b]
Check your connection at the coil sometimes it will vibrate lose plus its hard to see under it's rubber cover.
trx#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
450R Veteran

it could be just about anything... once your plug 'starts' to go bad....you will usually notice this at WOT under a load... will kinda feel like she is on the rev limiter.. same holds true for the secondary (spark plug) wire... there is also a resistor in this wire that can become damaged...along with the brass nipple which attached to the plug tip.... it is removeable for inspection.. just stick a large slotted screwdriver into the plug end of your wire.....unscrew the clip end.... or, it could just be jetting.... or, quite possibly, but rather rare with stock ICM...but could be the ICM (aka Black Box, aka CDI, etc)...

hard to diagnose via the internet....... jmho....g

HRC kit (all but gone)
Hot Cams stage III
Cold Fusion Nitrous**
Venom 'QP' pipe
ESR Pro Series pipe
42mm Taper-Bored FCR
Durablue Anti-Sway Bar
Modded shock mounts
Rage Modded Tranny

Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Thank you guys for the info. Im going to go through the whole quad again this weekend. Im hopping i just missed something stupid like a loose wire or something along those lines.

450RRR - The plug is brand new, I replaced it after this problem started. So far it has a new plug, new stator, the carb has been fully disassembled and cleaned, gas has been drained and replaced with fresh fuel, and the K&N is nice and clean.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement