450r in a 400ex - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Hey just wanted to know if the 450r motor will fit in a 400ex frame.
If so what kinda changes has to be made to the 400ex
dhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

well, since theres been more than one sport bike motor stuffed into a quad frame, id say a 450r into a 400ex would be a piece of cake. but why would you? sell the ex and buy a r.
<span style="color:#0000FF">my 450r
duner450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

i'd probably do it i love the way my 400ex rode/handled alot different than my r does now
AC nerfs.
ESR exhaust, with mid-top end header.
HCII
K&N intake
LRD needle, 4th clip
CR 500 Springs
g force extended hubs
SLC +2.5 swinger
OEM, crf 450r clutch

h0nda450mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to spangler

Quote:
If so what kinda changes has to be made to the 400ex[/b]
I did it! It's a beeeoootch!.....Don't do it!
I did a crf450 in my 400ex. Pretty much the same deal.
Check it out.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450.jpg (110.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 450_1.jpg (117.3 KB, 82 views)
spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Quote:
Check it out.....
[/b]

what kind of problems did you run into??
dturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
250EX Rider

that 400ex looks good, if you have the motor why not
2004 trx450r race bike
sumosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Check it out.....
[/b]

[/b]
Where do I start?...LOL...None of the engine bracket are useable. You have to make your own. The swingarm pivot bolt is too small in O.D., you have to make a bushing for it. The drive sprocket will not line up with the rear sprocket, you have to have the inside fo the left pivot mount on the swingarm milled down approx 3/16". Then shorten one pivot spacer & make a new (longer) one for the other side. The countershaft sprocket in too low to clear the swinarm rub pad, so you have to run a large countershaft sprocket so the chain will not eat a whole in the swinarm. That gears the bike even higher. The trans in the 450 is already geared to high for an atv application. So you need to have a custom rear sprocket made. I think it was 50 tooth or maybe a bit larger. You have to make or remake a headpipe & silenser, the silencer brackets or all wrong. You need to put a overflow bottle somewhere & radiator, mounts for the radiator. Hoses are pain. The crf waterpump cover directs the hose to high & a different style is needed. The kick starter will hit the frame. You need a shaft extention & shorter kicker, it hits the fender when you kick it. The carb is the worst! When the motor is set to line up with the rear sprocket & positioned to clear the gas tank, the crf carb is about 1" from the cross-tube on the frame. No way to rout a intake tube. I mean no way!. We had to cut the cross-tube & subframe cross-tube, weld in a pc. of thick wall 2.5" pipe. Then had to strengthin that, hard to explain.
Then we ran a large radiator type hose through the pipe & on to the filter. I am sure I am forgetting a bunch. After it's done, the 400ex handles like crap. I mean compared to a 450r. The only reason we did it, was because honda did not have a high perf. 450 quad. As soon as we found out honda was coming out the 450 in 2004. I listed mine on ebay, before they hit the market. Now the 04 stock 450 did not run quite as good, w/ less compression & non-fcr carb. The trx450r was a much better handling bike! Also easy to make it as fast or faster. I could not emagine doing the swap with out having the complete crf450 bike to rob parts from. Carb, elect, hoses, brackets, bolts, etc. If it was me, & had a 400ex & crf450 engine. No question about it, I would sell both & pick-up a nice used trx450r. They are all over the place, good deals out there. It was fun, but pain in the butt!...LOL...I guess a guy could mickey mouse the piss out of the project, but it would be worthless to ever get any money out of when your done with it. The frame will never go back to a 400ex. To many modification. You should have seen all the 400ex raptor 660 guys back in 2003! We would roll up to the dune drag hill, position your legs as to hide the engine! We would let them go & pass them in a wheelie!...LOL...Guys would come over to see what the ****? They looked so factory done, they all thought we worked for honda & where testing prototype 450's...LOL.
That was such a big rummor back then????? Will or wont honda come out with a 450 quad?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QUOTE(dhamr @ Apr 6 2009, 07:01 PM)
<div class='quotemain'>Hey just wanted to know if the 450r motor will fit in a 400ex frame.
Check it out.....
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Where do I start?...LOL...None of the engine bracket are useable. You have to make your own. The swingarm pivot bolt is too small in O.D., you have to make a bushing for it. The drive sprocket will not line up with the rear sprocket, you have to have the inside fo the left pivot mount on the swingarm milled down approx 3/16". Then shorten one pivot spacer & make a new (longer) one for the other side. The countershaft sprocket in too low to clear the swinarm rub pad, so you have to run a large countershaft sprocket so the chain will not eat a whole in the swinarm. That gears the bike even higher. The trans in the 450 is already geared to high for an atv application. So you need to have a custom rear sprocket made. I think it was 50 tooth or maybe a bit larger. You have to make or remake a headpipe & silenser, the silencer brackets or all wrong. You need to put a overflow bottle somewhere & radiator, mounts for the radiator. Hoses are pain. The crf waterpump cover directs the hose to high & a different style is needed. The kick starter will hit the frame. You need a shaft extention & shorter kicker, it hits the fender when you kick it. The carb is the worst! When the motor is set to line up with the rear sprocket & positioned to clear the gas tank, the crf carb is about 1" from the cross-tube on the frame. No way to rout a intake tube. I mean no way!. We had to cut the cross-tube & subframe cross-tube, weld in a pc. of thick wall 2.5" pipe. Then had to strengthin that, hard to explain.
Then we ran a large radiator type hose through the pipe & on to the filter. I am sure I am forgetting a bunch. After it's done, the 400ex handles like crap. I mean compared to a 450r. The only reason we did it, was because honda did not have a high perf. 450 quad. As soon as we found out honda was coming out the 450 in 2004. I listed mine on ebay, before they hit the market. Now the 04 stock 450 did not run quite as good, w/ less compression & non-fcr carb. The trx450r was a much better handling bike! Also easy to make it as fast or faster. I could not emagine doing the swap with out having the complete crf450 bike to rob parts from. Carb, elect, hoses, brackets, bolts, etc. If it was me, & had a 400ex & crf450 engine. No question about it, I would sell both & pick-up a nice used trx450r. They are all over the place, good deals out there. It was fun, but pain in the butt!...LOL...I guess a guy could mickey mouse the piss out of the project, but it would be worthless to ever get any money out of when your done with it. The frame will never go back to a 400ex. To many modification. You should have seen all the 400ex raptor 660 guys back in 2003! We would roll up to the dune drag hill, position your legs as to hide the engine! We would let them go & pass them in a wheelie!...LOL...Guys would come over to see what the ****? They looked so factory done, they all thought we worked for honda & where testing prototype 450's...LOL.
That was such a big rummor back then????? Will or wont honda come out with a 450 quad?
[/b][/quote]
****! What did all that cost you in the end?
2ballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Well, the 400ex where new, & the crf450 was new, after we parted out what we did not need from the 400 & 450 & bought the new parts we needed, sprockets, radiator, chain, kick starter, extention, etc. Seems as if it was the better part of 8k? I think I sold the new 400ex engine for 1600? That was when parts where selling good, & it was all new parts. Got good money for the 450 forks & frame...etc. Not bad when you consider new 400ex were about 6300 out the door then. Thats no labor also, because we did all our own fab. work. My buddy is really good at that kinda stuff.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
300EX Rider

It is weird to me that it would be that difficult. "Back in the day..." there were ex's all over the place with either 450r bike motors or even yz motors in them. You used to see them at MX races all the time. Then the YFZ came out and pretty much overnight all the hybrid quads started to disapear. Surely places like Lone Star etc. had kits to do most of it. Not that any of it is still around.
Dad of Josh (ATVCCS) Expert Class #22
Dad of Jennifer (ATVCCS) Lady Open C Class #122

www.atvccs.com
jshtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to coryatver Send a message via MSN to coryatver

Quote:
It is weird to me that it would be that difficult. "Back in the day..." there were ex's all over the place with either 450r bike motors or even yz motors in them. You used to see them at MX races all the time. Then the YFZ came out and pretty much overnight all the hybrid quads started to disapear. Surely places like Lone Star etc. had kits to do most of it. Not that any of it is still around.[/b]
I never seen to many 400ex hybreds but back then all you saw was 250r aftermarket frames with yz or crf motors. I am pretty sure you could buy a aftermarket frame and the parts to bolt the motor right up. That is an awesome 400ex no way I could hack up a brand new 400ex and crf450! That takes some guts lol
coryatver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
trx450r.org Moderator

If you are that interested, I have a 400ex frame that I modded to do a "drop in" hybrid with a CRF 450. I was looking for a CRF and the TRX came out. Now here I sit with a frame ready to go.

PM me if you're interested, I'll let it go dirt cheap.
WI Trail Patrol #1224
WI DNR ATV Safety Instructor

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
..go by the pants dyno..thats usually all that matters.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Quote:
It is weird to me that it would be that difficult. "Back in the day..." there were ex's all over the place with either 450r bike motors or even yz motors in them. You used to see them at MX races all the time. Then the YFZ came out and pretty much overnight all the hybrid quads started to disapear. Surely places like Lone Star etc. had kits to do most of it. Not that any of it is still around.[/b]
I never seen to many 400ex hybreds but back then all you saw was 250r aftermarket frames with yz or crf motors. I am pretty sure you could buy a aftermarket frame and the parts to bolt the motor right up. That is an awesome 400ex no way I could hack up a brand new 400ex and crf450! That takes some guts lol
[/b]
You correct. The aftermarket frame where set up for the crf motor. I never seen any of racers use a stock 400ex frame. There was a kit though. It was for a aftermarket 400ex frame to put a crf engine in it. We bought 2 of them. Thats where we got the short kicker, shaft extention, pivot bushing & engine brackets. The brackets where a joke! We had to make our own. Did help having them as a pattern. The bushing was cool. Thats what I meant by you need to make most of it, because those kits are long gone. Back to the point of.....DON'T DO IT!!!!.....Waste of money & time. When are done, all you got is a abortion on your hands....LOL....I dumped mine while guys still had those hybrid bikes. The guy who bought mine had one & was going to use mine for a practis bike?....
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
250EX Rider

I did the swap on my 07 400ex and all i can say is this. If you race mx, just buy the 450r. If you plan on xc and you can do it cheap, i like my 400ex. I dont think that the 400ex jumps as well but id much rather have it in the woods. Ill still keep it when i buy my new 450r when honda decides to go fuel injection.
web 208
43mm fcr
boosted3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

i did it and it was easy i used a 07 450er motor in a 02 frame once you get the swing arm bolt in just make sure the tank dont sit on the motor move it up and down until you find that sweet spot and make some mounts to fit but i did move the lower frame mounts back about a inch give or take
450ex hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement