How to test the stator/ignition pulse generator(pick up) - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to pgreenlaw

This stator/ IPG assembly was removed from a bike that had a no spark problem. Swapped it out with a known good stator/IPG and spark was back. Assumed it was a bad assembly, but maybe it could have been a bad wire that was tweaked while installing the known good stator?? Who knows....

What I would like to know is how can you test the full stator assembly when it is off the bike? I have the service manual and have tested the 3 main yellow wires coming from the stator. All have continuity with each other and are well within the service limits. Also, none have continuity with ground (stator body).

I can't find anything else in the manual that has to do with testing the stator or IPG. Does anyone electrically savvy have any ideas on how to test the Ignition Pulse Generator (pick up)? Or any other tests that can help me determine if this is indeed a bad stator/IGP assembly?

I removed all wire sheathing and inspected all wires for cuts or breaks and all wires are intact.

Thanks for any replies.

-Pat

Stock suspension, stock swinger :(

Cheap, Fast, Reliable. You can only choose 2. Which do you choose?
pgreenlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Did you test the peak voltage with it on the bike ?
mtxracer36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
Did you test the peak voltage with it on the bike ?[/b]
No, I did not.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
450R Rider

Can someone tell me if I am reading this schematic wrong? To me, it looks like there should be continuity between the two leads coming out of the pick up. (the Blue/yellow and Green wires) Well, there's about .246 ohms on the 2Kohms setting. If I am thinking correctly, this is almost 500ohms? Does that sound right?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Quote:
Can someone tell me if I am reading this schematic wrong? To me, it looks like there should be continuity between the two leads coming out of the pick up. (the Blue/yellow and Green wires) Well, there's about .246 ohms on the 2Kohms setting. If I am thinking correctly, this is almost 500ohms? Does that sound right?

[/b]
By looking at the schematic, one would think there should be continuity. But knowing that the sensor creates AC voltage, it may not work that way. If you have a voltmeter that will get down and read low AC voltage, you can probe the two leads and swipe a metal piece or a magnet across the tip of it and create somekind of voltage. If it creates just about any kind of voltage at all, its more than likely good. At least his is how it works on automobiles, and probably applies on this.
Mr. Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement