06 trx450er Starting Problems - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

I have an 06 trx450er that has had nothing but problems starting. I've recently had the valves adjusted by a Honda shop and that helped but its still a pain to start. I bought the bike new and it started ok, never great in my opinion. Then I did the hrc kit which seemed to make it a little worse but that could be in my head. Then Venom did port and polish and bored the carburetor, that didn't seem to help or worsen the problem. Both times I had work done I did have them do a dyno tune. I've recently changed the spark plug and battery. I've already burned up one starter clutch replaced it. I did have a Honda shop do the started clutch reduction gear recall. I've only adjusted the valves once in it's lifetime and that was at about 100-150 hours it's got a little more on it now. I know your not suppose to press the gas when you start the bike but it will not start unless I do. It's alot worse when its cold but still not good when it's warm. Recently I've had problems idling and dying when breaking unless I give it some gas. Honda shop has checked idle speed. As far as I know when hrc kit and port and polish was done only the main jet was changed. I haven't done a compression test but I am going to as soon as I can. The power on the bike seems good maybe not 100% but close. I think I noticed it cut out a couple of times but it may have been in my head certainly nothing major or anything. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
Thanx!!!!
450rsuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
YamaWho?

Send a message via AIM to wishiwerfishinn

im not so sure about what your problem may be, but my friend got an 07 in july and his actual starter just recenlty quit engaging all together(hit the button and it will occasionaly catch and turn over now, but sounds horrible). it always started bad like your describing, sometimes requiring a little throttle to get it to start. could be the starter motor, like in his case all similar symptoms, but his quit working all together.

just a thought.

-Nicholas

Quote:
you picked the wrong hobby if you want to keep money in your wallet.
wishiwerfishinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Racer

the 06-07 have the FCR carb that has accel pump it does not hurt to pump throttle a couple times beofre you start. I would say that you need to double check your decompressor.

quadforce*com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
im not so sure about what your problem may be, but my friend got an 07 in july and his actual starter just recenlty quit engaging all together(hit the button and it will occasionaly catch and turn over now, but sounds horrible). it always started bad like your describing, sometimes requiring a little throttle to get it to start. could be the starter motor, like in his case all similar symptoms, but his quit working all together.

just a thought.

-Nicholas[/b]
That's exactally what happened when my starter clutch went out. The starter motor would turn but would not turn the engine over. When it first started failing it would just slip a little bit then as it started slipping more it would engage the motor less and less tell eventually it would not turn the motor over at all but the starter motor would always turn.
450rsuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Veteran

first....you must determine if she is cranking over FINE....but not starting...

vs....not cranking over well....or slipping......and not starting...

the first sometimes a Decompressor and/or jetting issue..... the second is almost always a starter clutch issue......

sometimes.....this issue can be cured by simply increasing the idle speed 1/2 to 1 full turn on the knob....

what is your current cranking compression...and your current jetting.....????

jmho...me~
**06 450ER**... #3 (Dale lives on)

86TRX250R (mostly stock 66mm bore x 72mm stroke) **for sale**
86TRX250R (ESR310 72.5mm bore x 72mm stroke '298cc' fully modded) **SOLD**
88TRX250R (ESR330 77.5mm bore x 74mm stroker '345cc' fully modded)

HRC kit (all but gone)
Hot Cams stage III
Okie porting w/ATP CV4 springs (36mm Ti/31mm)
Venom/KBR N2O Porting w/KW springs (37mm/31mm)
Venom/KBR 487 100mm 14.25:1 piston
Cold Fusion Nitrous**
Venom 'QP' pipe
ESR Pro Series pipe
ESR modded intake w/RAT stack
42mm Taper-Bored FCR
Direct Drive clutch lockout, CR500 springs
GT Thunder-Link w/Durablue Lowering Link
Durablue Anti-Sway Bar
Modded shock mounts
Rage Modded Tranny

Jetting/Carb: #168, #45slow, NGPR needle 3rd clip, #55 Leakjet, Pilot 2 turns out.
Jetting/N2O: 22N/21F (22hp)

*STU Comp Cut 21x12x8 (6) paddle 'Padla Brats' on Douglas Blue label 8x8.....

Thanx to: Venom/KBR (Mixxer/Kam), Rage ATV (Dee), Sredum (Chris), and many ORG members
450RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement