Hot rods crank problems - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
300EX Rider

I thought I would start a new thread with my own crank problem. I purchased a +3mm stroker crank for my 04 honda. I tore the topend down but had a dealer do the bottom end. I got it all back together and went and did some dyno runs.

I was horrified to find out that I LOST power. It was a solid hp over the entire range and acouple points of tq as well. Irratated I took my bike home. I tore the topend down trying to find an error in assembly. I could not figure out what was wrong. After the tear down, I still could not find any problems. Every thing was correct and within spec. I installed a different cam in hopes that would change some things. I rode the bike and the power seemed different, but I still knew I wasn't where I needed to be. I have contacted several builders and hotrods directly and no-one could understand why, this was happening.

Then one nite I thought that there was 1 thing I didn't check. It was the one thing, that made me real nervous. I tore the topend down again. I took note of the forging number on the rod. I sent an email to hotrods asking if this was the correct rod for the stroker crank. The number on the rod was HR 632. Of coarse I figured this out on the friday after thanksgiving so I had to wait til the following monday to find out for sure. Although I looked on hotrods website and the part number for a oem style honda rod was 8632. At this point in time I knew I was screwed.

I got the email from hotrods and they told me it WAS the right rod. Not being satisfied with this, I called hotrods and after confronting them with I thought it was odd the oem style rod part# was so similar, they looked a bit deeper and figured out this was definatly a oem style rod. Meaning I had the wrong crank. Anyhow, I thought this would be the end of this, I would get a new crank and some compensation for cost associated with putting one of these in. I don't have to tell many of you about the cost associated with installing one of these things. Bearings and gaskets can be an easy $200 with shipping(especially when not all parts come from the same place. I paid $240 for the bottom end install alone. Then figuring in my time, a wasted tune, 3 trips to a dealer 160 miles away each round trip. The cost really adds up.

Well, they(hotrods) wanted me to contact the distributer who drop shipped the crank to me. I thought this was rather odd, as I didn't have any actual dealing personally with them. The guy I talked to was pretty cool and tryed to help me. He himself seemed pretty surprised that hot rods would send me to him. Hot rods told him they would exchange the crank for the correct one. I told him that was all fine and dandy, but a crank isn't a spark plug that can be pulled out with little or no fuss. I was then referred back to hotrods again.

I understand every company makes mistakes, sometimes bad things get out or correct item in a wrong container. Just I don't think I should have to pay for ALL the cost of their mistake.I have been waiting on posting about this hoping they would step up and help me out here. I would then be able to come on here and tell everyone how they stepped up for me.

Anyhow, I get a email back yesterday. They wanted a list of my mods and dyno charts. I figured we were past this but I sent them the info anyhow. I then get another reply...... they wanted me to assemble the thing again, buy some more gaskets, install my other cam hotcam stage3 (original runs were with the hrc), and go dyno tune it again and "I should see the gains I'm looking for". I must say I'm alittle stunned. Why would I go through all that expense again? I got the wrong **** crank.......Why should I spend more money on a build, that I already had? I wanted a stroker crank, I paid for a stroker crank, I WANT a stroker crank. Since a rep. of hotrods has posted here maybe this person can help me out. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong person or whatever, but since I didn't get a reply to my email yesterday stating that I wanted the crank problem addressed. I figured now was the time to let everyone here know about this. Right now, it seems like they are trying to sidestep the problem. I got the wrong rod, so pretty much this crank has to come out.
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

That sucks mistakes happen, thats why i always do my own work, even though i dont know what im doing the first time i do it. lol

So your saying you got a stock style crank produced by hotrods? How would you lose power? i know you wouldnt gain from the lack of the stroker but how did u lose power?

Black 2005 450r
Hot rods +3 Stroker
Hot Cams Stage 2 camshaft
Yoshi full
Wheres my suspension?!?!?

"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow"
The450Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Maybe I wasn't clear. I got an oem style crank assembley in a stroker crank box. See pic of the box's label. Whether I installed or anyone else you would have never known to look at it. You would expect the right part in the box.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
300EX Rider

yea very true. I wonder how that happend.

In the future im replacing my crank, hopefully i get what i paid for.

Black 2005 450r
Hot rods +3 Stroker
Hot Cams Stage 2 camshaft
Yoshi full
Wheres my suspension?!?!?

"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow"
The450Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Veteran

definitely a word to the wise to do some measuring or something before install.
sredish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear. I got an oem style crank assembley in a stroker crank box. See pic of the box's label. Whether I installed or anyone else you would have never known to look at it. You would expect the right part in the box.[/b]

I agree with you totally, and as someone who is considering a purchase of the hot rods stroker crank, before I buy anything from hot rods, I'll waiting here to see if they do the right thing. Poor customer service is the first thing that will keep me from buying from any particular person or company. You spent YOUR money on parts that you needed for the crank install, and THEY made the error in packaging the crank. You shouldn't have to pay a dime of your own money to fix this in my opinion. I AWAIT!

stevefarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
450R Rider

Hey there tuffguy..................

I noticed your crank has the 4160 sticker over another sticker. Can you make out what's on the sticker underneath? I would not pull it till you have commitment fron HR to make it right. Just curious if you can see it. I am on the way home now and will be comparing my package to your photos.....................as my crank is already in as well.
<strike>And we&#39;re trying to raise them EVEN HIGHER!!!!!!</strike>
Never mind. We did it. They&#39;re even higher now.
Good Job California Government!!!!!!!
Knowpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
300EX Rider

To tell ya the truth, I didn't notice the sticker until you just mentioned it. I'll check it out tomorrow after work. I don't wanna do too much peeling on it until I get this straightened out.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
450R Veteran

my hotcams stage 3 has 2 labels on it also one over the other i dont know how muc too read into that but i wonder if my stage 3 is actually whats its supposed to it says stroker and numbers or grinds on the actual cam to tell?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via AIM to bawb

WOW good catch! That sticker has a datestamp on it, i'd like to see what knowpigs says. Really like to see them step up and make it right.
Who knows some $7 @ hour employee coulda just got happy with the sticker gun and effed a few up and sent em out.
Maybe mix or anyone else who puts alot of these in could compare a few different ones.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stock 05 450R

I'm confused.... or should I say.... worried !!

I got my Hot Rods +3 new from Paul at Woodward months ago but have not yet installed it. So I pulled the box out to compare it to yours. And found that my box is labeled with p/n 4160 just like yours (except mine is not a label over a label). It also has a second label on the back of the box that also reads p/n 4160. So I pulled the crank out of the box and the p/n on it is the same as yours.... H R 632 and the only markings on the housing (correct name? housing...) is HRG D

So, are you saying that mine is not a +3 but really a stock size crank?

Now you got me worried....

Hope the new member from Hot Rods can help clear this up.
Nor*Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stock 05 450R

Quote:
I'm confused.... or should I say.... worried !!

I got my Hot Rods +3 new from Paul at Woodward months ago but have not yet installed it. So I pulled the box out to compare it to yours. And found that my box is labeled with p/n 4160 just like yours (except mine is not a label over a label). It also has a second label on the back of the box that also reads p/n 4160. So I pulled the crank out of the box and the p/n on it is the same as yours.... H R 632 and the only markings on the housing (correct name? housing...) is HRG D

So, are you saying that mine is not a +3 but really a stock size crank?

Now you got me worried....

Hope the new member from Hot Rods can help clear this up.[/b]

Okay, now I'm even more concerned.... went out to look at the date and time on the label and it's the same day and time that is on the label in your picture. I'll take some pics.... need to charge the camera up for a little bit....
Nor*Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
450R Veteran

d*mn it, i just went and compared numbers and thats the exact same crank i have hr 632 rod, you gotta be kiddin me im gonna have ship that thing back??? for a new one glad i havent assembled mine yet.
My life is not a journey with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather I will skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out loudly proclaiming... WOW What a Ride!!!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
450R Veteran

i think people should do some measuring for us like one of the site sponsors who will have the 2 different ones in stock and do a number check also
Old 12-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
450R Veteran

This is getting interesting.

stevefarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement