HELP! Decompression; - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

HELP! Decompression;

So I just installed kibble white stainless intake valves and a J.E. 13.5:1 piston. set the decompression to 60psi with compression gauge and the bike fired right up... several times. got it good and warm and then would not start. checked compression and it had jumped to over 90. I took it apart, checked decompression arm, and the adjuster was still locked tight. wondering why it changed so much so fast without coming loose and backing off but I went ahead and reset it to 60psi again and BINGO fired right up, no issues took if for about a 10 minute ride, came back parked it and tried to fire it up again and nothing. it was late and i needed to get out of the shop so i did not check decompression again but i can only assume thats whats up again...... is this normal with new valves and piston? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Did you cut new seats when you put in the valves? The new valves can wear in a little and need reshimming soon after rebuilding. I guess you checked the valve clearance when you reset the decomp too? Also I would look at the end of the decomp screw and make sure it isn't wearing where it rides on the arm.

04 450r
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
Did you cut new seats when you put in the valves? The new valves can wear in a little and need reshimming soon after rebuilding. I guess you checked the valve clearance when you reset the decomp too? Also I would look at the end of the decomp screw and make sure it isn't wearing where it rides on the arm.
Thanks for the reply. I have rode about 3 hrs since rebuild and need to check clearance, however I did find the problem. I just wasn't setting it in the sweet spot. Set the decomp cold and once warmed up it was giving me too much compression for the electric start. got it good and warm then quickly tore down and set it at 60psi @ w.o.t and now it starts and runs like a charm at any temp! I am however wondering about the excessive engine noise... is that a high compression thing? my crank/rod had ZERO play up and down but it sure makes a louder knock then it did on the stock piston. runs like a stripe ass ape but had a lot of "knock" everyone tells me that its how they are ??
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM
450R Rider

They have some engine noise but shouldn't be a loud knock. What piston did you put in and what fuel are you running?

04 450r
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
They have some engine noise but shouldn't be a loud knock. What piston did you put in and what fuel are you running?
I don't know how to describe it. I heard from everyone that i make listen to it that it is normal. to me it sounds like a knock but I' ve always been a 2stroke guy. I am running a J.E. 13.5:1 standard 96mm bore and I am burning 110 Turbo Blue race fuel. It had the same noise with she stock 10:1 but was not quite as loud. if i am wearing a helmet i barely heard it but starting without a helmet and moving it or loading it up i hear it clear and it drives me nuts lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM
450R Rider

See if you can upload a video or something, it could be piston slap, rod knock, main bearing, clutch.... a few things basically, some worse than others.

04 450r
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM
450R Rider

If the crank, rod and piston is tight, mostly around idle it's the main drive gear backlash

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 PM
TRX90 Rider

how do you set decomp?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Nelson View Post
how do you set decomp?
I set decompression with a compression gauge. that issue is solved. i am more concerned about the engine noise at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboezio View Post
If the crank, rod and piston is tight, mostly around idle it's the main drive gear backlash
well the 13.5:1 piston is less then 2 weeks old. the fitment was perfect in the cyl, the rod has zero play up and down just a small bit side to side which is normal and in spec. It IS only around idle its louder when warmed up and it does pick up speed with rpm but only to a certain point then you no longer hear it.
I am pretty positive its not piston or rod but my concern is something coming apart in this fresh build and being down again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page