How to prove VIN number. - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
450R Rider

Default How to prove VIN number.

Okay im getting my frame sandblasted and powder coated, and my friend just got his blasted and his vin number was blasted off with it.

How could i prove my vin number afterwards?
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
db5
250EX Rider

Get a pack of sand paper and some free time and give it **** :)

db5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
400EX Rider

You cant, tell whoever is blasting it not to blast the number off and whoever is spraying it not to cover the number. Just hit it with some clear when you get it back.

www.FourPlayFilms.org
Twitter: FourPlayFilms
ichoptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dune Hooligan

you cant blast the number off... it is stamped in.... I have powdercoated over mine and you tell them to go lightly on it...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoptop View Post
You cant, tell whoever is blasting it not to blast the number off and whoever is spraying it not to cover the number. Just hit it with some clear when you get it back.

this
eddiefromcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
I wish I was QUIK. . . .

It is possible to blast the number off, this can be from using media that is too heavy or by spending too much time in one spot with the blaster. Blasting will remove metal, if you sit in one spot long enough it will blow a hole right through the frame. If your blaster is competent and uses the proper media the vin number should be preserved just fine, and it should still be visible after PC. Just make sure that the next time you PC your frame that you have it chemically stripped, every time you blast metal it removes a minute amount of metal and weakens it, and will eventually remove the vin.

2005 450R
Black everything, Slower

2004 450R
Under the knife. . . . . .
hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
400EX Rider

I dont see how a professional sand blaster cant get the paint off without ruining the numbers. Thats allot of freakin metal to blast off in one go. Ive only ever seen sand blasting done once but it didnt seem that gnarly to me and the kid doing it was 16 but didnt seem to have a problem.

BUT if I am totally wrong, isnt there some type of solution you can put on that will make where the numbers were stamped a different color than the rest of the frame so you can read the numbers? Then you could just etch the numbers in. Or is that shady legally?

RallyDrift88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Last frame I had done they blasted the frame and vin plate then I had them mask off the vin plate. When I got the frame back I masked off the frame and sprayed the plate with some rattle can. The plate is in a protected place so the paint is holding up just fine. I doubt the powder coater blasted the vin off but I wouldn't doubt if the powder is thick enough to smooth it out so you can't see it...
Baileygunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dune Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
It is possible to blast the number off, this can be from using media that is too heavy or by spending too much time in one spot with the blaster. Blasting will remove metal, if you sit in one spot long enough it will blow a hole right through the frame. If your blaster is competent and uses the proper media the vin number should be preserved just fine, and it should still be visible after PC. Just make sure that the next time you PC your frame that you have it chemically stripped, every time you blast metal it removes a minute amount of metal and weakens it, and will eventually remove the vin.
Media will dent thin metal but it is not blasting off the vin plate. That metal is thick and i want to see where any media no matter the courseness is blasting off a vin number that is stamped.....

Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
450R Rider

The place has a machine that blasts the parts itself and it uses a thick media its even over the whole frame but from the quick glance i took at my buddies frame i couldnt see any vin numbers, I havent dropped my frame off just yet so i can still get it done else wear with a finer material or acid bathe it.

What would yall recomend?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dune Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibilich View Post
The place has a machine that blasts the parts itself and it uses a thick media its even over the whole frame but from the quick glance i took at my buddies frame i couldnt see any vin numbers, I havent dropped my frame off just yet so i can still get it done else wear with a finer material or acid bathe it.

What would yall recomend?
They probably just laid on thick powdercoat across where the vin goes. A good powdercoater familiar with quads will not do that.

You have a couple options. tape it off and then clear it afterwards like suggested, tell them to go lightly,

actually another option is to powdercoat it and then if you have a fine dremel dremel the powdercoat out of the vin to make it more readable..... then clear it.

I wish I had a close up pic of my vin on my last TRX. it was 100% powder coated, inspected by the DMV for plates ad was fine
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
They probably just laid on thick powdercoat across where the vin goes. A good powdercoater familiar with quads will not do that.

You have a couple options. tape it off and then clear it afterwards like suggested, tell them to go lightly,

actually another option is to powdercoat it and then if you have a fine dremel dremel the powdercoat out of the vin to make it more readable..... then clear it.

I wish I had a close up pic of my vin on my last TRX. it was 100% powder coated, inspected by the DMV for plates ad was fine
Bud, it hadnt been powder coated when we looked at it, they said it would have been done by the time we went over there and they got backed up and only had blasted it so far. From what we saw the vin was gone BEFORE they powder coated it.

Ima get it soda blasted at my work monday.

I will take pics of his frame when we go pick it up tomorow!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dune Hooligan

Media blasting is just not going to take a stamped vin out of a frame... not going ot happen
Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow... I'm surprised they took it off. What kind of material did they use and what kind of pressure are they spraying at? I wouldn't have them do my frame. That's a lot of material to take away and figure that was on the entire frame... That's bad on them for not knowing what their machine is capable of..

And Coues... Media blasting isn't nessasarily sand blasting... Sand blasting can eat up metal in a hurry. Media might be salt, glass, walnut shell, soda etc... There is no way walnut or glass will do that kind of damage I agree, but I could see sand doing it if that's what was used.
Baileygunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
450R Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
Media blasting is just not going to take a stamped vin out of a frame... not going ot happen
First of all, never said media anything. Sand blasting was what i said and i was wrong. Overall i was wrong, we went and picked up his frame and you can faintly see the vin numbers. You gotta looked at it at a certain angle to see it.

Anyway, they steel blasted the frame and it came out just fine.
Advertisement