DS450 vs. LTR450 - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Looks like my dad decided to have some fun before he gets too old and is buying a quad. The local Suzuki dealer about had him convinced into the LTR then i suggested a Can-Am. I've heard good things about them and for around 5600 out the door for a brand spankin new one doesn't seem too bad. Plus they look a **** of alot easier to work on.

What's your guy's opinion between the two? I've ridden my buddies LTR and liked it but never the Can-Am.
CP 12:1
HRC needle
FuelATV Intake
2" handlebar riser
Alba Pro Elite Race Comp nerf bars
BEAR450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

If you're saying the DS looks easy to work on, I'll disagree with you on that one. I've worked with my buddy on his DS and it's at the dealership right now because we finally said enough is enough. It's not as "backyard mechanic" friendly as my YFZ (or others) if you ask me.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

if i where to personally get another quad right now it would be the ltr but get an 08 or up the early years have a 3rd gear issue and the suspension is really rough..so ive heard but there a really stout bike beefy frame reliable engine and not "too" hard to work on
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
400EX Rider

What's wrong with him buying a honda? I would pickup a honda or a yfz. Might even be able to find a left over from last model year for a screamin deal. Just my two pennies worth.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
250EX Rider

I have worked on about every bike there is. I used to enjoy doing to till I did a motor project on a DS450! lol! The biggest problem is you can't get any of the top end apart with out basically taking the bike apart. And when taking the bike apart there was no thought about ease of bolt access. Every Can Am should come with a number of 3/8 Ratchet extensions from 1" to 24", a couple of swivels, and a Torx set! lol! On the flip side they are very fun nimble bikes to ride... But so are Hondas :p

TEAM Qi #288
martinmx288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to darmo21

Quote:
What's wrong with him buying a honda? I would pickup a honda or a yfz. Might even be able to find a left over from last model year for a screamin deal. Just my two pennies worth.[/b]
X2 on that one

All Black 2006 TRX 450er

Dasa Classic
Hot Cam II
K & N Air Filter, No Air box Lid
HRC Jet Kit
Green Wire Mod
Hinson Clutch Basket
Hinson Inner Hub
Trinity Racing HD Clutch Kit
Lonestar Dual Row Axle Carrier
All 6 Wheels ITP C Series Sport Polished
Rear Tires ITP XCR, Rear Paddles ITP SandStarr, Front Tires ITP GNCC
Pro - Taper Bars
DG Grab Bar

darmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Not sure the intentions but if wanting a quad good on the track & trails / all around I would pic the canam over the Ltr mainly cause of width & how well the Canam handles in stock trim. Not to mention the price out the door.

As far as handling The canam in stock trim has been the best 450 IMO. Great suspension & feels so light in the air, like a Canadain 250r? lol There was actually plans to make it a 2 stroke from what I read. For how high it sits up it is very stable on the track, unlike some other 450 that you feel you need to widen them out asap.

Mods: The ds450 out of the box has good top end & not much low end, but Put a good full system do the wire mod, maybe an intake & she will be ready to go. It will hang with or beat almost any 450 that has the same mods or a few more mods, like cam etc.... well maybe except the ktm. I don't think it will be an issue for your Dad, but after that it is hard to gain much more hp.

Overall it seems to be a reliable Machine, check the frame bolts, change oil, check oil after running like manual says etc.. & yes invest in a good torx set. lol

Maintenance even getting to do the wire mod makes you wonder if they were worried about some one stealing that wire, cause it is a bit involved & takes a bit to get use to how the machine is put together. Yes & if you want to do motor mods you will be removing the motor. Yet I know plenty of 450 which make you wonder if the engineers thought you should be able to access the carb?

I am not saying the Ltr is any slouch or any 450 is. I don't have have allot of personal experience with them. The Ltr is already wide if thats what you want. Handles well & Mods well. Good thing is both of your choices are honda bolt pattern so tire swaps are cheaper if you already have a Honda.
04 GASGAS
01 Wolverine

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." G. K. Chesterton
rrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Is he looking for an EFI quad only? Look into the new YFZRs if he is.
K&N
Graydon Proline nerfs
Ride to Live, Live to Ride
gocartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
250EX Rider

I would go with the Can Am.. the LRT with 18 inch back tires doen't make a good trail bike. You always could change to a 20 inch tire though. The LTR will be more stable with it's wider stance but also a lot tighter on the trails. It's compleatly up to him though..
b_russell_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
450R Veteran

a raptor 700 is something to consider too if he rides trails.
prlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
250EX Rider

^^ DEFINATLY! Totally forgot about them...very older people friendly much smoother riding then any 450 would be and just as quick.
K&N
Graydon Proline nerfs
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Yeah I guess if you would really like our opinion on it we would really need to know not really how old your dad is but more how old does he ACT. Age is only a number. Your only as OLD as you act. If he is still aggrisive a 450 would be great. If he is more of a trail lounge driver a new Z400 or Raptor would be great. Maybe a new Honda Rincon or Rubicon what ever the 680cc Utilitly bike is.. I've read good a lot of good things about how powerfull and nimble they are for a Utility Quad.
b_russell_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Yeah I guess if you would really like our opinion on it we would really need to know not really how old your dad is but more how old does he ACT. Age is only a number. Your only as OLD as you act. If he is still aggrisive a 450 would be great. If he is more of a trail lounge driver a new Z400 or Raptor would be great. Maybe a new Honda Rincon or Rubicon what ever the 680cc Utilitly bike is.. I've read good a lot of good things about how powerfull and nimble they are for a Utility Quad.[/b]
Even if he is aggresive the 700r is great handling and if he has never rode quads before it would be a much easier thing to learn on I think atleast. The power come on much smoother then the 450s I've rode and if hes not used to riding he'll be able to ride longer and be less sore.
K&N
Graydon Proline nerfs
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
300EX Rider

08 and up ltrs trannys are even worse than the 06-07 models...Check out ltr450central.com, most people have more problems with newer ones than the older ones
Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Great feedback guys! When i said the DS looked easier to work on I was going completely off of looks. There is much more room around the engine than the LTR(no room at all). But thats really good to know about the DS.

I guess i should have given a little more background. He's already got a suzuki vinson for trail riding and that **** thing rides like a cadillac. He's brought it to the dunes and its just too underpowered and is really tipsy so he has a hard time keeping up and isn't comfortable riding the big dunes. So he's lookin for a dune bike and thats all he'll really use it for. So for that I was thinkin the LTR because of the wide stock stance and he'd feel more comfortable. I hadn't really thought about the craptor for him, i'm sorry but i just am not a fan of yamaha but the raptors do ride pretty nice. And they have great bottom end so he wouldn't have to keep his RPM's high. He's definately not going to be riding agressively, mostly just the cruise around play on the bigger dunes

I told him to find a honda but he didn't want the same bike as me so thats a no go.
As for his age he's 54, and sometimes acts like he's 76 and other days like he's 18 so it really just depends on the day i guess haha.

Thanks again for the input guys, I can tell he's getting really anxious to get one!
CP 12:1
HRC needle
FuelATV Intake
2" handlebar riser
Alba Pro Elite Race Comp nerf bars
BEAR450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement