Spark plug gapping a dual ground plug ??? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
DeW
450R Rider

I am sure we have some tech guys around here that can help me out..
I have searched all over and cannot get a good answer on how to gap a spark plug that has 2 grouding electrodes.
I have a 2003 Tacoma 3.4 V6
I bought NGK plugs for it

Help and thanks!

Trick Rhino with a HRE P&P head.. 71 M.P.H. SXS.... Ask me how...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM
400EX Rider

i work at carquest auto parts. don't try to adjust gap, it will ruin them plugs. they come pre set from NGK. if one side is smashed in, you need to return it to the place you bought it, they will give you a new one for free.

2006 trx450r
tusk gas cap..........and a few other items
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
400EX Rider

this what your plug looks like?

2006 trx450r
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
DeW
450R Rider

^^ yes sir^^ that is it

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM
400EX Rider

my computer says it should be gapped to .044 but i can't tell you where the measure from.

2006 trx450r
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
DeW
450R Rider

that is what i was told also, grab one off of the shelf, to me it looks like it is .022 on each side of the electrode....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 PM
rj1
300EX Rider

dual ground plugs don't make a bit of difference in horse power or performance vs a standard single ground plug. electricity ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance so the spark will travel to only one ground. The dual ground could have the same gap on both sides but the spark can still only travel to a singe ground at a time. usually one ground is just a tad closer to the electrode so the spark will always travel to that one. if that makes any sense.........
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
400EX Rider

Quote:
that is what i was told also, grab one off of the shelf, to me it looks like it is .022 on each side of the electrode....[/b]

thats what i got on all 4 in this box. i think your gravy with what you got.

2006 trx450r
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
DeW
450R Rider

sweet, thanks!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM
400EX Rider

Quote:
dual ground plugs don't make a bit of difference in horse power or performance vs a standard single ground plug. electricity ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance so the spark will travel to only one ground. The dual ground could have the same gap on both sides but the spark can still only travel to a singe ground at a time. usually one ground is just a tad closer to the electrode so the spark will always travel to that one. if that makes any sense.........[/b]

first of all, who says anything about power?? we where talking about the gap of a certan kinda spark plug.

second, i want you to try to install a single electrode plug in a tacoma,or a volkswagen for that matter, let me how that turns out for ya!!

and third, it's a regular resistor spark plug, yep you heard me right a resistor just like you pappys truck from the '60s used. the reason for the dual electrode is so they can get 100k out of a resistor plug.

2006 trx450r
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
rj1
300EX Rider

Quote:
Quote:
dual ground plugs don't make a bit of difference in horse power or performance vs a standard single ground plug. electricity ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance so the spark will travel to only one ground. The dual ground could have the same gap on both sides but the spark can still only travel to a singe ground at a time. usually one ground is just a tad closer to the electrode so the spark will always travel to that one. if that makes any sense.........[/b]

first of all, who says anything about power?? we where talking about the gap of a certan kinda spark plug.

second, i want you to try to install a single electrode plug in a tacoma,or a volkswagen for that matter, let me how that turns out for ya!!

and third, it's a regular resistor spark plug, yep you heard me right a resistor just like you pappys truck from the '60s used. the reason for the dual electrode is so they can get 100k out of a resistor plug.
[/b]
it is not a dual electrode plug. it is a dual-ground, single electrode plug.

this type of plug fires twice as often and maintains the typical change interval for a typical plug. toyota came up with a special ignition system in the early 90's that uses this type of plug. i was just saying the spark doesn't travel at the same time between the two grounding posts.

i know you were talking about the gap, looking at the pic just reminded me of some experiments we did on different plugs in an electrical engineering lab in college years ago. wasn't trying to get ur panties in a wad. sorry!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page