How much oil does it take? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Newbie to Honda and the forum. I just bought a very clean 05 trx450r with low hours and w/o the manual and I was wanting to give it a fresh oil change and filter before I start putting hours on it. I read on the forums that the manual recommends using HP4 10w-40 for the engine oil and HP Transmission for the tranny oil. I am wondering how much should I buy of each to change both and does anyone know where I can download or view an online manual that explains what goes where and how much. Thanks
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
450R Veteran

a little less than a court just drain i pore a little oil in when i got the filter n plug out to get some extra oil out thats dirty,then put plug back in n filter then fill it up between L-H then run it let it sit for a while n check it out
i use the hp4 for my engine , and gear saver for the transmission on the transmission side u use oil with out MOLY cause slipping

hope this helps
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Solid Gold DASA500R!

the engine side is fairly easy to do. just poor until the glass shows full. i think its like .82 quarts. on the tranny remove the check oil bolt, it is on the bottom right side of the clutch cover. it looks like you can remove it with a phillips screw driver. add hp tranny fluid (red bottle 80/85) untill a little starts pooring out then just replace the check bolt. once you turn on the bike let it run a while then check your engine side to see if it needs a couple more drops of oil.
Ordinary people, simply doing their jobs, and without any particular hostility on their part, can become agents in a terribly destructive process. Moreover, even when the destructive effects of their work become patently clear, and they are asked to carry out actions incompatible with fundamental standards of morality, relatively few people have the resources needed to resists. -Milgram

R.I.P. Jesse aka Jay Dash you were a great friend for sure! and always will be
badinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Venom Sand Slinger

Oops! Darn newbs, double posting topics and all. j/k man, lol.

Anywhoo, I responded already in your other duplicate topic.

BTW- Welcome to the site!!! Almost anything you want to know/learn about the Honda 450R can be found on this site. Welcome to the addiction....

Later- Kris
Venom Porting, Immortal Intake & +1 KW exh. valves, 99 mm 12:1 Wiseco 2-ringer piston, +3mm stroker crank, HC Stage 3 cam, 43.5mm Sredrum taper-bored FCR, Venom full exhaust, Modded ESR intake/ K&N, Dynatek prog. ignition.

2008 Yamaha Raptor 815 Venom big bore stroker 87hp/64.5 ft lbs
nhradragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Thanks everyone for the replies, this ex 2-stroker turned 4-stroke should be able to get-r-done now. Found a manual on here to download too. Great forum.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
rj1
300EX Rider

.8 liters (engine oil) 10w-40
.6 liters (tranny oil) 80w 4 stroke gear oil
iJacob likes this.
rj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
. on the tranny remove the check oil bolt, it is on the bottom right side of the clutch cover. it looks like you can remove it with a phillips screw driver. add hp tranny fluid (red bottle 80/85) untill a little starts pooring out then just replace the check bolt. once you turn on the bike let it run a while then check your engine side to see if it needs a couple more drops of oil.[/b]

Put 650 cc in the trans! The above method shorts you oil and you will prolly strip the check bolt! LEAVE THE CHECK BOLT ALONE AND MEASURE THE AMOUT OF OIL YOU POUR IN !!
McCune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Solid Gold DASA500R!

Quote:
Quote:
. on the tranny remove the check oil bolt, it is on the bottom right side of the clutch cover. it looks like you can remove it with a phillips screw driver. add hp tranny fluid (red bottle 80/85) untill a little starts pooring out then just replace the check bolt. once you turn on the bike let it run a while then check your engine side to see if it needs a couple more drops of oil.[/b]

Put 650 cc in the trans! The above method shorts you oil and you will prolly strip the check bolt! LEAVE THE CHECK BOLT ALONE AND MEASURE THE AMOUT OF OIL YOU POUR IN !!
[/b]
why would my directions make him strip the check bolt? i was just explaining to him which bolt it was and what it looked like.
Ordinary people, simply doing their jobs, and without any particular hostility on their part, can become agents in a terribly destructive process. Moreover, even when the destructive effects of their work become patently clear, and they are asked to carry out actions incompatible with fundamental standards of morality, relatively few people have the resources needed to resists. -Milgram

R.I.P. Jesse aka Jay Dash you were a great friend for sure! and always will be
badinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
why would my directions make him strip the check bolt? i was just explaining to him which bolt it was and what it looked like.
[/b]

The method you use will leave the trans level low. Next time you fill your trans using your method see how much oil is left in the bottle when it comes out of the check hole , I will bet it is more than 300 cc left in the bottle!

Alot of people on this site brag about the bolts they strip or break off . This is one of those bolt that is easy to break or strip.

Anyway no offence,I personally don't like filling the trans with the check bolt method....
McCune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Welcome aboard Brian. This is a great site for 450R riders.

Honda TRX 90 facebook group

Browns Camp OHV facebook page

Quad Addictions facebook group

My youtube channel

Painters Vancouver Wa

2006 LTZ 400
2002 TTR 125
2003 Sportrax 90 (son's)
2009 TTR 50 (son's old bike)
2003 TTR 90 (son's new bike)
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Welcome to the site

Brakes are for sissies’

Quote:
Welcome to America....We speak English here!
A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the USA for an amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer remember that fact.
Flyin450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Dose anyone know if you fill the oil to full in the glass eye, then start it for a few mins to let oil pump through the engine and drain, and then fill it back up once it drops,. Or do I just fill it to H on the eye piece without it pumping through and leave it there. The only thing is, is that when I did that the oil dropped significantly and there was no oil left because it all pumped through the engine. I know on a blaster you fill it up, then turn on the engine for it to drop, then fill up up more so that when the engine is running it is on full.
akraus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Long story short .....just make sure the engine side oil is always between the L and H marks on the sight glass. Check the level after the quad has been sitting for at least a few minutes so the oil can drain down.

07 TRX470ER

14.4:1 98mm CP piston
Dasa custom ported head with Ferrea SS valves
Web 242/921
Web HD dual valve springs/ ti keepers
Dasa 43.25mm FCR
Dasa intake
Dasa Classic Exhaust
JD +2 ST A-arms
Elka Stage 3 Dune Series shocks F/R
QUIKSHRK (OCP) +4 arched ladder swinger w/Derisi link
G Force axle
Pro Taper Contour CR Hi bars
Houser +2 stem
HID headlights

Last edited by rocknhorse76; 04-20-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added text
rocknhorse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknhorse76 View Post
Long story short .....just make sure the engine side oil is always between the L and H marks on the sight glass. Check the level after the quad has been sitting for at least a few minutes so the oil can drain down.
Just like he said, just keep an eye on that oil fill glass. When I do oil changes I also use my compressor to push out all the dirty oil out of the oil cooler. I use an old rubber bushing with my air gun attachment in the fill plug hole for a good seal and blow the oil out where the filter goes. If you do this just be sure to not have your air pressure set high. fill it back up using the sight glass. let it run for a little bit. let it sit for a few minutes and check the glass again. fill if needed. i used rotella 15w/40

Also on the tranny side I used the oil level plug when refilling, screw it back in and add a little more. And as far as stripping the srew plug, I also worry about this because it feels very easy to over tighten. I may start measuring the oil also like stated above to avoid possibly stripping the plug.
469 cycle shop
Baja LED
GBC
Powermadd
Works connection
JT sprockets & chains
Hiflo filters
jaystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
Just like he said, just keep an eye on that oil fill glass. When I do oil changes I also use my compressor to push out all the dirty oil out of the oil cooler. I use an old rubber bushing with my air gun attachment in the fill plug hole for a good seal and blow the oil out where the filter goes. If you do this just be sure to not have your air pressure set high. fill it back up using the sight glass. let it run for a little bit. let it sit for a few minutes and check the glass again. fill if needed. i used rotella 15w/40

Also on the tranny side I used the oil level plug when refilling, screw it back in and add a little more. And as far as stripping the srew plug, I also worry about this because it feels very easy to over tighten. I may start measuring the oil also like stated above to avoid possibly stripping the plug.
Okay, thanks. My plug has a hex head so I can use a ratchet instead of the phillips head, but the hex head would be easy to strip if I tried. I already stripped the philips head part so I rely on the outer shape to put my ratchet on.
akraus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement