condenser - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 4bidden

On our quads...what does the condenser do? I'm putting my quad back together and if it is not necessary I'd like to remove it since its attached to big huge black bracket! :) Just not familiar with its purpose on an ATV as opposed to AC in a car.

Cheap/Fast/Reliable - Pick 2

Arizona Quads | Orange County Web Programming
4bidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Good question Jeremy. Im not 100% sure what it does either but I think it has something to do with the ignition system. Im thinking along the lines of "points and conderser" like in an old car.... Espcecially since our bikes use a stator to produce spark. As for your bike still running if removed is probably highly un-likely. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will reply, you have "sparked" my interest now as well (no pun intended)

05' 480r / ESR 480 kit(12.5:1)/ ESR pipe/ 42mm FCR w/Boyseen quick shot cover and quick adjust fuel screw/ Twin Air power flow/ HRC cam/Waco clear radiator hoses/ EngineIce/Amsoil/Redline/ ESR Rev box/ Laeger's +2 long travel/ TCS long travel ZPS fronts w/ reservoir's / GT Thunder re-spring, re-valve and rear link/ Laeger's +1.25" swingarm/ LSR +3 axle/ LSR front & rear hubs/ LSR anti fade lock nut/LSR carrier/ 13-38 Renthal sprockets/ DID Gold 520 chain/ TM design slide, glide and roller/ Galfer rotors/ Streamline SS brakelines/ TM design case saver/ HB E-brake block off plate/ BARE gussetted frame pc'd lollipop red/ Xtreme seat cover/ A/C nerfs powder coated black/ Fuel ATV front bumper powdercoated black/ TAG +1" stem (chrome)/ TAG T2 bars/ GPR steering stabilizer/ TAG grips/ ASV C5 "shorty" levers/ Trail Tech headlight/kill switch/ ESR rear brake lever/ ESR shifter/ ESR billet motor mounts/ IMS foot pegs/ ESR billet covers/ Tusk billet fuel cap/ RAD lites/ ITP black baja T-9's all around/Sand Stars all around.
Stugots450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Veteran

I think it serves as a path to ground for the coil.

04 TRX450r
86 310R (250r)
03 Suzuki Z400 (my sons)
06 Yamoto 150 (my sons)
02 KX65 ( my sons)
03 CRF450r
05 Nissan Titan
91 Yamaha FZR600
TRX450rlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Condencer in a car a/c system is not the same thing as what you are saying is on your quad. the condencer in the A/C system is like a radiator and the condencer you are seeing is a electronic componant.

and i do not have a clue what it does on this bike. i havent been in the electrical system as of yet..
Pro Armor rear grab
12/39 trails
13/39 dunes
and no warning stickers!!!

86 350x restore in progress.
MDFMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Veteran

It's a low pass filter that smooths the pulses from the 12v system to prevent the head and taillights from blinking at low RPM. Probably also preserves fan motor life a bit.

That's it..... Think of it as a VERY small battery for the 12vdc part of the quad's electrical system. It has nothing to do with the ignition (magneto) side.
86atc250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Gabe nailed it.
Nothing to do with Igntion.

It does the same thing as a capasitor for a amp in a car system.

Acts as a reserve
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to pgreenlaw

I am guessing that YFZ's do not have one? Because every one I have seen has a pulsation of the headlights at idle.

Just trying to further my brain capacity! Awewome info, Gabe.

Stock suspension, stock swinger :(

Cheap, Fast, Reliable. You can only choose 2. Which do you choose?
pgreenlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
450R Veteran

The YFZ has a battery so it doesn't really have a big need for a filter cap

The YFZ does some weird stuff with it's charging system that may be causing some of the pulsing - but also remember that when the bike is running, a battery is really a load, not a source of power. Another thing to note is that the YFZ uses it's 12vdc system for ignition too, unlike the TRX - so that draw may also be lowering the line voltage when the plug fires.

Back to the battery thing though - lets say the charging system is pulsing at 14.4v at idle. The battery has six 2.1v cells totalling 12.6v at full charge - the pulses you see are probably the result of the line voltage varying from approx 14.4vdc to 12.6vdc, the ignition stealing some line voltage to spark the plug, as well as possibly some of the mysterious goings on with the YFZ charging system in general.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
300EX Rider

a condensor in an a/c system takes vapor refrigerent coming from your evap coil (inside your cab) and by running air across it, condenses back into a liquid to re-start the refrigerant cycle.

I would not remove anything from the electrical system. they wouldnt of used it if it wasnt needed and its hidden undr the hood/

lone star +2 stem
fatbars
asv levers (thanks gumby)
8 paddle haulers
stock fronts
t-dub +2 swinger (took forever)
works stock re-valves
14:1 venom
hrc cam
hrc needle (on 3rd)
venom headwork
stock clutch (since sep 04')
175 main jet
stock pilot
esr intake
vp c-12
06 - 12 style hood and light
13/39 sprockets

Dunes my bike has been: Dumont, Armagossa, Nellis, Pismo, Weiser, St. Anthonys, Sand Hollow, Coral Pink, Sand Mnt.(Nev), Winnemucca and it still starts first or second kick!!
mstrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 4bidden

Thanks a ton for the insight Gabe!

So if I don't run a taillight or headlight would it have no ill effects removing it? This is a MX quad.

Cheap/Fast/Reliable - Pick 2

Arizona Quads | Orange County Web Programming
4bidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
What Ever In Season

Quote:
It's a low pass filter that smooths the pulses from the 12v system to prevent the head and taillights from blinking at low RPM. Probably also preserves fan motor life a bit.

That's it..... Think of it as a VERY small battery for the 12vdc part of the quad's electrical system. It has nothing to do with the ignition (magneto) side. [/b]
filters and smooths the waves out and a little extra juice for starting

in AC they have capacitor start motors and need them if not they burn out a little reserve for starting and must be matched to motor and should be changed once in a while

Quote:
The YFZ does some weird stuff with it's charging system that may be causing some of the pulsing - but also remember that when the bike is running, a battery is really a load, not a source of power. Another thing to note is that the YFZ uses it's 12vdc system for ignition too, unlike the TRX - so that draw may also be lowering the line voltage when the plug fires.[/b]
those lights are AC and not DC the charging coil and exciter both branch off to the rectifier/voltage regulator for battery charging only and I think brake light, fan and the charging system works better with the lights on and is a minimal system for more performance discharges with the fan on
BackSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
filters and smooths the waves out and a little extra juice for starting [/b]
Starting the fan, not the engine.

Quote:
those lights are AC and not DC the charging coil and exciter both branch off to the rectifier/voltage regulator for battery charging only and I think brake light, fan and the charging system works better with the lights on and is a minimal system for more performance discharges with the fan on[/b]
Ahh - I thought the YFZ ran everything off the 12vdc - shows how often I work on YFZs... Still a goofy system that causes weird stuff to happen with the charging and ignition. Has equally as goofy a fix to keep it all working right if you have the headlights removed.

Anyhow - apparently that's why the headlights pulse badly on the YFZ -- running off the AC, not the DC like a 450R.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
What Ever In Season

Quote:
Starting the fan, not the engine.[/b]
hey you could charge up some condensers and hook them up to the gluteamus maxi mus and add a push button and may be able to push start one

I worked on some CNC machines CMS they had some very large caps about 8" diameter and 10" tall you had to let them sit about 1 hour before working on them as the shock could kill you got my finger burned clear through by some smaller one's on so older powermatics (krapomatics) it was powered down for like 10 minutes was poking around inside the cabinet checking a connection and wham burned clean through small white spot on both sides of my finger was sore about a month
BackSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement