TRX 450 Red Warning Light? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

I just bought a 2007 TRX 450 today. After getting it home and riding it around for an hour or so, the red warning light next to the green neutral light is staying on. I hope it is some thing minor. It didn't have the manual with it so I don't know what might be causing this. I was wondering if maybe the oil was low or some other easy fix. Any information would be great.
Wyo_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
450R Veteran

that is the oil temp light, it means your oil is getting to hot check to make sure your fan is coming on

riding them around slow will cause them to get hot long before riding it hard will
hondaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

The light never came on while I was riding even though I was riding pretty easy, (I got lucky there Ha-ha). It has been sitting for a couple of hours and now when I start it the red light stays on. Is there another fan besides the radiator fan?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How long does it stay on?

It will stay on for a few seconds after the bike starts... Just like the dummy lights in a car or truck...
Baileygunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

I just let it run for about a minute and it never went off. The oil level is half full in the glass sight. Should it be full? I see the H and L marks on the case next to the oil sight but I assume that it is like most other bikes. You want the oil to fill the glass oil sight about half way?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Desert Racer

That light is not the oil temp light, it is the coolant temp light. If it comes on while riding, it usually means the quad is overheating. The fan should also be on. If the quad is overheating, then you should shut it off when the light comes on. Check coolant level and see that the radiator is full.

Now from what you say, the quad may not be overheating. If the quad sits for a couple of hours and then you start it, does the light stay on? If so, the temp sensor could be bad and may need to be replaced. If the sensor is good, it could be a wiring problem, need to check over the harness.

Doug
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2013 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Dirttricks.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
D Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
450R Veteran

Quote:
That light is not the oil temp light, it is the coolant temp light. If it comes on while riding, it usually means the quad is overheating. The fan should also be on. If the quad is overheating, then you should shut it off when the light comes on. Check coolant level and see that the radiator is full.

Now from what you say, the quad may not be overheating. If the quad sits for a couple of hours and then you start it, does the light stay on? If so, the temp sensor could be bad and may need to be replaced. If the sensor is good, it could be a wiring problem, need to check over the harness.

Doug[/b]

now i feel like a idiot, of course its a coolant temp light its sensor is in with the thermostat lol
hondaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

Coolant is full, oil on both sides are at proper levels, and the fan is spinning fine. I was thinking something in the wiring is gone bad. I guess replacing the sensor is the only way to tell if it is bad? It seems fine but that light just will not turn off. I just got it today and it is making me really worried. I got a pretty good deal on the Quad at 2,450.00. It is an 07 ER in great shape. He in my area they are selling for about 3500-4000. I am hoping to flip it and make a couple hundred bucks. If I have to start fixing stuff that won't work. I really hope it is simple. The rear brake light has been removed. Would that mess up other things in the electrical system?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
250EX Rider

No the break light has no effect on it. I would have to agree with the previous post and say its a sensor if your fan is working correctly and it is on even when its cold. I have seen a thermostat stick and cause machines overheat but I don't think this is the issue in your case.
green wire mod
Web 208 rbc
crf headgasket
re +1 Gen 1 head
Cr500 springs
Re taper bored carb
+2 arms
Lonstar axle
Propegs
Fly fat bars
One graphics
TO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH!
joeronomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Does the green light come on when its in neutral?

You let it run for just a min shut it down and you didnt see it turn off in that time? try a little longer i know mine stays on for a little bit and then goes off

Where are you located?
Bill Ballance Carbon HMF
GTT Suspension
HD USA +2 A Arms
GForce +4 Axle
Hiper Tech3s / Maxxis Tires
Lonestar +1 Antivibe stem
FCI Intake Kit
CCP Stabilizer
AC Racing
Pro Armor
PRM
Powermadd
gwhunter350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
400EX Rider

unplug the sensor, does the light go out? if not then the wire is cut or shorted to the frame. if it goes out it's the sensor bad.