Honda TRX 450R banner

Transmission Oil

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  450RRR 
#1 ·
The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers

#6 ·
The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers[/b]
10W40 motor oil is equivalant to a 90W gear oil, it's simply a different rating system for viscosities of the two.

#7 ·
<div class='quotemain'>The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers[/b]
10W40 motor oil is equivalant to a 90W gear oil, it's simply a different rating system for viscosities of the two.
[/b][/quote]

I thought maybe that was the case, but I wasn't sure. The first thing that made me think of this was that Motorex sells a gear oil and it says like 70w95 or something like that and then up in the upper right hand side of the bottle it says 10w30 or 10w40. Is there a website out there that shows you conversions?

Thanks,
Seeves

#10 ·
<div class='quotemain'>The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers[/b]
[/b][/quote]

:confused: Then why is plain 80W90 gear oil as thick as honey?

But then again, I know the HP trans oil I put in my tranny seems almost as thick as mototr oil.

#11 ·
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers[/b]
[/b][/quote]

:confused: Then why is plain 80W90 gear oil as thick as honey?

But then again, I know the HP trans oil I put in my tranny seems almost as thick as mototr oil.
[/b][/quote]

Because it's a "one weight" oil, meaning the 90 rating is equivalent to motor oil that is 40W. Multi weight motor oil that has a rating of say, 10W40 has a 10 weight rating at zero degrees and a 40W at 220 degrees. BTW, the W stands for winter, not weight like alot of people think.

#12 ·
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>The 450r manual recommends 10w40 oil for the tranny, but most transmission oils are around 70 to 90 weight. Are there any good none sythetic gear oils that are around 10w40 other than the stock honda oil? And does anybody have any idea what damage a thicker oil could cause? Also does anyone have any experience using 70 to 90 weight tranny oil in the 450r?

Thanks,
Seevers[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I thought maybe that was the case, but I wasn't sure. The first thing that made me think of this was that Motorex sells a gear oil and it says like 70w95 or something like that and then up in the upper right hand side of the bottle it says 10w30 or 10w40. Is there a website out there that shows you conversions?

Thanks,
Seeves
[/b][/quote]

Yes, here is a comparison chart of the two, you need adobe acrobat to read the pdf file though:

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/spring98.pdf

#13 ·
info only....

Gear oil is exactly HALF the viscosity of ENGINE oil...

meaning 80w Gear oil is = to 40w Engine oil......

all I can say is this....there is NO BETTER OIL for your TRANNY than the Honda HP Tranny Fluid 80/85w......

jmho....Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.